millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Ongoing New Comics Thread

It’s right up there with the Kite Man tragedy.

1 Like

I agree with this. I feel like Tynion simply doesn’t care about what he writes and treats his profession as mundane hobby.

I was just saying the same thing. He actually only did one full issue of X-Factor; the rest all had multiple artists.

1 Like

Wow. That’s a bit harsh. I think the guy’s work is fantastic. He writes very much in the Claremont/ Lobdell X-Men - wordy, soap operatic, with multiple inter-woven plot threads. His stories are far from decompressed; there is always so much going on. I think it helps that his fanboy years were the same as mine - we share a lot of the same favourite characters and stories. That definitely comes across in his work too.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree with Vik that that’s a bit harsh. I feel like he does care about the characters and for me it’s more that I just don’t think he’s a great writer, average at best.

Edit - just realised I’m a liar. I clearly don’t think he’s average at best as on my ‘Every story ever’ list I have Detective Comics 934-940: Rise of the Batmen at position 336 which is the tail end of my good category. Although I do have Detective Comics 943-947: The Victim Syndicate ranked at 855 in the ‘meh’ category. (the list currently comprises 1055 entries)

1 Like

Hey, milstar. It’s not a big deal but this thread is generally for new comics. There are other threads for trades or digital depending on how your reading. You’re more likely to get better discussion on older work there.

3 Likes

Anyone reading the Go-bots book? I see issue 2 is out.

1 Like

I am.

It’s pretty dang good.
#2 is showing some strains for me. Since it’s only a 4 issue miniseries…it feels like it’s too truncated and perfunctory. There could be more bridging and connective tissue. But it’s still pretty dang good.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

You shut your filthy whore mouth

1 Like

This is a nice way of putting it. This is also why I liked Tynion’s Detective Comics run so much.

3 Likes

Conan the Barbarian 1

First impression - I feel Ribic cover art wasn’t strong enough to launch this title. The cover is too indistinct, as is his generic rendering of Conan. It lacks boldness and the colours are rather muted - that was a disappointing art choice.

Beyond that, the map on the inside was nice touch, as was the opening collage of images from past Conan books in his various depictions - all which far greater capture his essence far better than the cover art they went with.
This collage tells me that Aaron is going to take the approach of reading and distilling the previous runs in to this new launch.

Mahmud Asrar is a brilliant artist, one Marvel’s best, but he’s been criminally badly utilised and he’s been misused completely here.
When you open the first story page it’s like opening a page of a Thor book or some other Marvel book. Conan shouldn’t look like the rest of the Marvel universe, he’s a force of nature. The tone is off here. Even the colour palate is a poor choice. The origin here of Conan being born on the battlefield is completely undercooked. It should be powerful and terrible and instead it is not even the first thing the reader is drawn to, only when I read the words did I understand what was going on with the baby. Despite the attempt to push the birth into the foreground. The page is too busy and the eyes are drawn to the action. I can’t work out whether it is meant to be two panels or one. It’s a poor composition.

I don’t know who editor Mark Basso is, but he should have been on top of this stuff.

As for the script, I found it a bit pedestrian and filled with posturing and exposition. It also felt very similar to how Aaron writes Thor in some ways.

This fell a bit flat for me, a bit of a missed opportunity for some R Rated Barbarian romp.
Maybe it’s the mood I’m in but I felt my eyes just glazed over and I lost interest very quickly.

3 Likes

Scarlet #5 - to be honest, I’m not sure I completely follow what was happening here; the events of this issue are quite the departure from prior events. I’m still on board for the next mini, but Bendis/ Maleev need to wrap this up quickly, as this book is bordering very close to jumping the proverbial shark territory now.

BPRD: Devil You Know #12 - Laurence Campbell is probably my favourite artist in the Mignolaverse (excluding anyone called Mike). His work is so detailed, and atmospheric. It’s gorgeous. So happy that he’s done the bulk of the work on this climatic chapter of this universe.

Conan, the Barbarian #1 - the last time this title was on the shelves, it was published by Dark Horse, written by Brian Wood and had artwork by Becky Cloonan, James Harren, Declan Shavley, and others. It was brilliant (a highly recommended, self contained run, that you should all read if you haven’t done so already!). The new Marvel title was going to have its work cut out trying to meet that standard. I don’t think it quite makes it. It is a fine debut issue, but it was all a bit formulaic and safe. Jason Aaron and Mahmud Asrar are a formidable creative team. I trust that they can knock me off my feet, but I need more than what was delivered here. I’ll give it a few more issues.

3 Likes

The story did feel a bit like the standard Conan story, nothing mind blowing, but I still enjoyed it. But I agree with you on the map and the collage, they were brilliant touches.

4 Likes

Every comic is enhanced by a map. More maps.

4 Likes

Grant Morrison is going to write a comic with just maps, but they’re different maps of different locations and randomly put together. It won’t lead to anywhere nor make sense but his fans will say it’s not the destination, but the journey. Everyone else will just feel lost.

4 Likes

Actually those were all really clever meta references to old maps in comics from 1973. If you’d read up on them then maybe you’d understand.

4 Likes

It’s interesting what others liked/didn’t like about the new Conan book.

I didn’t really care for the collage as it seemed like more of a nostalgia thing for the old comics. I thought the story was very much a Conan story much more akin to the books than carrying on a comic adaptation. Part of that includes walking a well worn path. There is a certain repetition/cadence to Conan stories that almost read like myths. I think Aaron does something similar with Thor for obvious reasons which might be why some have made that correlation. Maybe that is my difference in that I’m more connected to the Robert E. Howard stories (or the Schwarzenegger film) than any particular comic adaptation whereas, it sounds like most readers here would be more connected to previous comic incarnations. I also don’t think this was ever going to be an R rated affair.

The map of Conan’s world didn’t particularly excite or bother me as I’ve seen it several times. It pretty obviously coincides with the real-world map of the Eastern Hemisphere with some somewhat stereotypical associations.

I also really like Mahmud Asrar. He is one of the reasons I picked up the book. I loved his run on X-Men: Red and dropped once he left the book. Marvel seem to have a really odd policy with artists anymore. It’s almost like they try to keep them from building a reputation so they don’t have to pay them more or they won’t leave for Image or DC. Even their stable of great artists seem criminally underused and only on a book for a first few issue stunt stint.

3 Likes

And Alan Moore made a map in the 90s

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve read any Conan comics, other than the Marvel mini series adaptation of the movie. I am pretty sure I’ve read some Conan books but it was around twenty years ago and don’t recall much. Are there any you’d recommend?

1 Like