millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Official Huck #2 letter-column thread

Anything you say below can and will be used against you in a court of law. Or at least used in the letters page at the back of our next issue. Here’s a preview for today’s dazzling ish. Rafa and I hope you enjoy or humble efforts…

MM

:slight_smile:

Getting interesting. Mysterious Russian psychic mind reader/ martial artist/ violin tutor? Huck has a brother that can recognize him despite never seeing him past infancy?

This really blew the story open in a way I wasn’t expecting! I love how Huck is so matter-of-fact about the things he does for people and disregards his own discomfort when he senses somebody in genuine need. I can’t wait to see how he is going to stick to his personal code while dealing with the larger world. Diane’s Russian connection has me thinking I should be looking through some other MM books for clues. :wink:
RA’s artwork never fails to blow me away, so much story told in each panel and the style fits so well to the writing. Keep them coming guys! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Here’s my review from the New Comics Thread.

Huck #2 - I know I must sound like a shill for all things Millar at this point because of my gushing reviews and my involvement. However, I should note that I only get involved in things that I believe in. I’m really loving this book. Once again, despite having previously read the issue it felt super fresh. That moment where Huck goes from sitting in the house avoiding the media to walking out and starting to help the people surrounding his house was pure gold. It’s the kind of moment you read in fiction that makes you want to change your own life. I love the twists and backstory that this issue hints at too. Albuquerque’s art is beyond stellar and so perfect for this story. I’ve read the next issue but I can’t wait till the physical book comes out so I can read it again.

I think there was a small reference in MPH that might feed into this that someone brought up before.

It’s rare to read a comic now a days and genuinely smile. Huck makes me smile.

Once, the wife and I were in a book store reading a poem by the author Stephen Dunn. Short lines, few words, seemingly not a lot going on, yet you were left with deep feelings and textured images. Deceptively simple is how she described it. A lot of work to combine to perfect few words for the most impact. That is what came to mind when I read Huck. My favorite Mark Millar work yet.

Huck #2 is a textbook in pacing, character development and pure, expressive panels that live on their own without the dialog.

It starts with the cover. I love covers that are the personification of the story inside, and Huck #2 is beautiful (the LOGO!!), stands out from the crowd, and perfectly hints at the story inside.

Speaking of the story, it is paced just right. The panels and panel flow with dialog are so well done, the other comics I read this week stood out as not as polished and clunky…darn you Millar and Albuquerque! I also have to give a shout-out to Dave McCaig. Colors are often overlooked, but if you go back and pay special attention to what he did in this issue, you’ll be as amazed as I was at how he sets tone, time and mood with his excellent choice of color palettes.

I almost don’t want to read this one issue at a time, it’s that good…I feel like I want to sit down with 6-12 issues and dive in for a lot longer than one issue gives me.

What I like best about the book is Mark really allowed the art to tell the story wherever possible. I think too many comics have lost that confidence, and it’s refreshing to see a comic actually make best use of the medium.

Are Millar comics supposed to be set in the same world? What would MPH have to do with Huck? Is there a Millar Universe?

I too loved this issue but I actually don’t like it at all when comics rely too much on the art. Comics without words are like silent era movies. There’s a reason they don’t make those anymore. It puzzles me when people applaud authors for not writing dialogue.

The dialogue is hugely important and is part of what differentiates comics from art. Comics are not the same as art. They are a wondrous combination of art and literature.

Did you read East of West #22? Felt sooo empty and thin.

I’m a big fan of the “show don’t tell” school.

Yes there are connections. There are two basic universes, the “real world” that contains Kick-Ass, Wanted, MPH, Superior, Huck and all the other more grounded concepts and the “imaginary world” which contains Jupiter’s Circle/Legacy, Supercrooks and I’m sure I’m missing something. What happened is the criminal organization in Wanted made everyone forget the more fantastical elements of the previously world and now they are remembered as comics and movies. The connections are sprinkled throughout the books but you really start to see it at the end of Kick-Ass where some of the other books are film posters. All of these connections aren’t super heavy in order to allow everything to function separately though.

Even if there’s no dialogue, the writer’s still writing. :wink:

Most modern comics have writers describing what the artist is already trying to tell. It’s become very dialogue heavy over the past decade, to the extent that it’s a crutch for most books. There’s very few great action sequences in most monthlies at the moment.

Writers are still writing when they’re no dialogue, in the same way actors are still acting even if there’s no dialogue. In fact you can get a better performance in both cases when the dialogue is clipped to a minimum.

What was that Denny O’Neil quote MM mentioned the other day? “Headlines written by poets”.

In film, it’s actually considered to be not very well written if you have to tell someone what’s happening. I feel comics are the same.

Even when there is no color, the artist is still drawing.

That’s different. Of course I’d prefer no dialogue to on-the-nose dialogue, but I’d prefer Warren-Ellis-level-dialogue to no dialogue. If you have the opportunity to read (actually I shouldn’t say “read”, I should say “view”) East of West #22 and share your thoughts on that I would appreciate it.

Writers need to write awesome dialogue. Actors need to say the dialogue in an awesome way and express their emotions without relying on dialogue. Like the way Quentin Tarantino writes amazing dialogue and Sam Jackson says the dialogue in an amazing way. I’m sure Charlie Chaplain was a great actor but theres a reason ive never watched any of his movies. Same thing with comics. I’m sure Hickman wrote the shit out of East of West #22 and it was drawn beautifully too but the absent dialogue made it empty and thin.

I agree that you shouldn’t include unnecessary dialogue but good dialogue makes the characters who they are and deepens their personality. Please don’t skim on the good dialogue. Again, please look at East of West #22 and let me know if you see what i mean…