millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Official Chrononauts #1 thread

It’s out. The rest of you have caught up with us in the time-stream. Talk about it here.

Oh, and here’s the first 6 pages for those who haven’t seen:

Spoilers ahoy!

MM

Holy cow! What a day!

Sean and I have been emailing back and forth about this all afternoon. It’s super-exciting, but the first issue seems to have gone down a storm and we could be looking at a first day sell-out, according to my chums in the retail community.

This has all been hugely exciting and you can talk to him about it during tonight’s chat (5pm New York time). In the meantime thanks from me on behalf of the team. I read about 20 big reviews today on top of all the Twitter love and they were all at least 4 stars. Sean, rightly so, is being praised to the hilt!

All the best,
MM

AMAZING ISSUE!!!

My comic store had two giant stacks of them - more than any other comic this week by a long shot - and people were literally lined up buying them. A guy behind me had one copy and I told him to buy variants, too (he went back and picked up two more…Jedi mind trick)

I bought three copies myself. :slight_smile:

PS: The “banging co-eds” line, followed by the ‘wink and the guns’, followed by the nun reaction might be the greatest moment in comic history. If that exact scene doesn’t make it into the movie I’m protesting.

This was a very fun first issue. Sets up the concept nice and quickly, gives us a good sense of the characters, and gets the story going briskly with some fun twists even before we get to the end of the first chapter.

The artwork is lovely too. Not just Murphy’s linework, although that is great - I love the real feel of the tech, and all the other fun little details like the time machine homages (especially the BTTF DeLorean and Bill and Ted’s phonebox - what, no TARDIS? :slight_smile: ). But also Matt Hollingsworth’s colouring, which does a cracking job of setting the mood. I’ve liked his stuff ever since his run on Daredevil a decade or so ago, and he complements Murphy brilliantly.

But I think my favourite part of the issue might be the running gag with the reaction shots - some very funny moments in there (with the priest’s reaction possibly being the best of them).

Having thoroughly enjoyed Starlight as a real return to form for the MW books, I’m now thinking/hoping this could be just as good.

Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a couple of my comments from the board in the backmatter too. I buy my singles digitally these days, but I might have to shell out for a hardcopy of this one too, just for the novelty of having my posts in it (it’s been a very long time since I had a contribution printed in a letters page).

So you’ve got two sales out of me! :slight_smile:

I know. The first time I saw my name printed in the back I got a little giddy.

A great start as I knew it would be. I will re-read the first issue, then take my time and absorb Murphy and Hollingsworth’s beautiful art. Counting down to the second issue.

I’m so glad we’re ALL being praised: Mark, me and Matt. And Chris as well–great lettering! This is all so overwhelming and I’m trying to stay focused on work so nothing is late.

“I know. The first time I saw my name printed in the back I got a little giddy.”

I never goes away. And if that feeling starts to fade, then maybe it’s a sign that I’ve been in comics for too long. :slight_smile:

[quote=“DaveWallace, post:7, topic:275, full:true”]
"Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a couple of my comments from the board in the backmatter too. I buy my singles digitally these days, but I might have to shell out for a hardcopy of this one too, just for the novelty of having my posts in it (it’s been a very long time since I had a contribution printed in a letters page).

So you’ve got two sales out of me!"

Double dipping is the greatest form of comic-flattery. :wink:

“PS: The “banging co-eds” line, followed by the ‘wink and the guns’,
followed by the nun reaction might be the greatest moment in comic
history. If that exact scene doesn’t make it into the movie I’m
protesting.”

That nun thing was an idea Mark let me run with. I thought it really punched up the joke. It looks like he’s shooting out the candles with his sinning!

Yeah, I missed the Tardis. That’s how you know I’m a Yank and not a Brit. :slight_smile:

You’re in the band! I’m pretty sure you should be getting these for free. But, yes, thanks for all the leg work in helping us sell this stuff.

Maybe one for the next volume. :slight_smile:

It’s all good - besides, Bill & Ted’s phonebooth is something that I’ve always found so much cooler.
I mean, it’s not even bigger on the inside and they somehow fit history’s greatest figures into it. Most triumphant.

Reposted from the New Comics Thread.

Chrononauts #1 - A great opening issue. It reads like a fun '80’s action/adventure film. The Millar/Murphy team-up was everything I hoped it could be. I usually prefer Murphy’s art without color but Hollingsworth is making a pretty difficult argument to the contrary. Even the paper in this book feels amazing. I’m already looking forward to issue #2.

A really solid start, and it did a great job of laying everything out at a brisk pace. Maybe a bit too brisk at points, but it’s nice to get that out of the way and just let the ride begin sometimes. I love the dynamic between Corbin and Danny. Can’t wait for the next issue and eventually the rest of the series.

Honestly the two reminded me a lot of the Diesel Bros. from SuperCrooks.Did no one else get that impression? I mean, a brunette, a party-crazy blond, and time travel? Might be their counterparts or something.

HAHA You’d think so…no one at my comic store even knows I do the editorials. Oh well.