millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

Not that it was really down to Magenta but Network 7 was such an innovative show. It had the text bar at the bottom of the screen years before all the news channels copied it. The evocative use of music and old clips in documentary segments long before Adam Curtis made it his trademark.

Larry DiTillio died last night

While he had a very special place in Transformers fandom - he was one of the people responsible for Beast Wars, he worked on a ton of shows you loved if you grew up in the 80s - Real Ghostbusters, He-Man, She-Ra and more.

I got to see him perform twice and he was beyond phenomenal. He was probably one of the top five guitarists ever.

RIP.

Damn, just heard about this :frowning:

This one slipped under the radar last week. This is the man responsible for the 25th and 26th Amendments to the US Constitution, and a huge supporter of equal rights for women. This is what good politicians are like, and they are literally a dying breed:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/birch-bayh-sponsor-of-era-author-of-title-xi-dies-at-91.html

‘I have to perform to save my life’: Medical bills kept rock legend Dick Dale touring till the end

But Dale’s time in the spotlight came to a sudden end in 1965. That year, when he was only 28, he was diagnosed with rectal cancer. As the Times magazine reported, doctors told the guitarist that without aggressive surgery, he could be dead in a matter of months. He survived, but the cancer bout whittled Dale from 158 pounds to 98 pounds, and also drained his bank account of his pop star proceeds. He moved to Hawaii and stayed away from music for a number of years.

“I can’t stop touring because I will die. Physically and literally, I will die,” he told the Pittsburgh City Paper in 2015. “Sure, I’d love to stay home and build ships in a bottle and spend time with my wife in Hawaii, but I have to perform to save my life."

“I have to raise $3,000 every month to pay for the medical supplies I need to stay alive, and that’s on top of the insurance that I pay for,” Dale told the Pittsburgh City Paper. “The hospital says change your patch once a week. No! If you don’t change that patch two times a day, the fecal matter eats through your flesh and causes the nerves to rot and they turn black, and the pain is so excruciating that you can’t let anything touch it."