millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

One always had a good time on a Burt Reynolds movie, I’ve heard (except a couple, but that happens). Always funny and witty when he showed up on The Tonight Show or other interviews. Solid career and broke a few boundaries. Salut!

Us Weekly seems to be boasting about an exclusive obituary. Classy.

This click-bait-y stuff is really juvenile. My first journalism class (in junior high school!) quickly knocked that stuff back. The dissolution and misuse of language is one of the most disturbing features of this future we’ve found ourselves in.

Confirmed.

He’s in the new Tarantino movie, so it was probably pretty sudden.

As The Venture Brothers has mentioned it heavily this season, I’d like to see Sharky’s Machine.

People with serious illnesses often keep it quiet, famous people even more so.

But it may well have been unexpected. 82 is a respectable age.

He was a big (perhaps the biggest at times) movie star during my youth and although his career subsided he had made some really enjoyable films.

RIP Bandit.

I don’t think there’s ever been a better laugh than the Burt Reynolds laugh.

It’s such a shame they stopped making movies like Smokey & the Bandit. They’re the kind of escapism I’d love to enjoy right now. Different era I guess.

That’s something I think about a lot.

I often think that I’d like to see more movies like the ones I grew up with in the 80s like Alien, The Terminator, Porky’s, Animal House, Halloween, The Howling, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or John Carpenter’s The Thing, but it occurs to me that those movies are all specific to not only a certain time in history, but a certain time in my life as well, and it’s something that’s impossible to recapture.

It’s funny you mention that. Just tonight I was telling my wife how much joy the movie Airplane! brought to me as a kid and how I don’t think I would like it at all now.

I find I still enjoy all my childhood classics. They’re still great movies, and don’t feel that dated. There was more freedom in that era, it wasn’t as calculated and corporate as it is now.

My hope is the streamers will embrace the low budget genre and be a little more out there with their projects. Take chances on more raw talent. Specifically to the Bandit though, I just miss fun silly mindless joyful movies.

That’s the essential lesson of age, I’ve found. The nature of reality is perspective and it cannot be recaptured. Even the present generation will feel that this period of time will have been one of irretrievable sublimity and reflection a dozen years from now.

I’ve tried rewatching some things I loved as a kid more recently and couldn’t get through them.

Yeah, I am possibly the opposite of Jim. My wife still likes her childhood 80s movies, but me, I don’t know if I saw them too much but I hold no real nostalgia or desire to see them again. She watched the Neverending Story a few weeks ago and I couldn’t imagine sitting down to watch that film. She loves Labyrinth and Goonies and I don’t care if I ever see them again. I just don’t have the nostalgia gene, I guess.

That said, I do still like some. I like the Dark Crystal, the Star Wars OT, Indy, Close Encounters, Pee Wee, Tron.

The sad one is that we showed our son Monty Python and the Holy Grail and we all barely laughed at all. Guess the wife and I are too familiar with it by now, and our kid is still a bit too young (age 10) for it to have maximum effect.

Now I’m trying to remember when I got into Python. Probably 12-13 ish. I don’t know if it would resonate so much for kids today though, so much mainstream humour (even for kids) is now infused with that irreverence and absurdity that it might not stand out in the same way.

Nostalgia is a weird thing, I think we all have it to some extent whether it’s movies or comics or books, or even our favourite meal or snack as a kid. But it can be incredibly selective, with some things remaining bulletproof from adult criticism and perspective, while some things can be almost heartbreaking in how you see them so differently (and revise your opinion of them down) as an adult.

The kid test is a good one, I think. Fresh young eyes are always going to give you an honest reaction to something.

I think I cling on to my childhood favorites in part because I moved away from home and he really been doing my own thing for the bulk of my life. So those properties are an anchor of sorts to my roots - something familiar I can reach out to daily. Almost all my current passions have roots in my teenage years - the only real new one I can think of is an interest in ancient history, but then that’s really common for middle aged men. And American sports, but that’s gone thru MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA is the only one I remain actively engaged with.

My boys are still too young to judge if they’ll have the same interests but I’m quite happy for them to find their own things.

I tried to introduce my kid to the original Star Trek, take away the nostalgia and it’s mostly bad by today’s standards. I still watch it from time to time but not with the girls. TNG is tolerated because of Data and Picard.

After Deliverance, everybody knew when Burt was being funny, it was on purpose and he was doing it as a hoot.