millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

Brighton Beach Memoirs is one of my favorite plays.

Simon took a lot of the times veiled/closeted gayness and ran with it, playing every note he could find. It’s a level of funny similar to Brits and such thinking a man is a dress is flippin’ hilarious. (I always found it funnier as to why a man would be in a dress, but that’s just me.) Can’t say I was a fan in the follow-everything-he-does sense; much more like when I came across his stuff i enjoy it. He had his own voice - and that is one of the finest compliments a writer ever receives.

I disagreed with McCain on a lot of stuff, like his hawkish stance on Iran, but I think his heart was in the right place. RIP

I’m currently off the politics, but McCain has always had my respect for being a stand up guy with reasonable views and strong principles. I respect him even more in his choice of past Presidents Obama and Bush Jr to provide eulogy as opposed to the current sitting president. I don’t see it as much as an attack on Trump as CNN but more retrospective respect shown to those who offered McCain the same respect in return for his own.

Damn. I hate to hear this.

Gary was one of the first guests my buddy ever had at his small comic con. He opened the door for my buddy to bring in and for me to meet so many great comic creators like Chris Samnee, Brian Hurtt, Cullen Bunn, Matt Kindt, Roy Thomas, Denny O’Neill, Rick Burchett and more. His health was never good and when I met him he was working well past his prime as delivery guy for UPS or FedEx after years of other health related issues. I will always be grateful for those opportunities that he opened for my buddy and by extension me.

All the creators of my “golden age” of Marvel (1970-1975) are passing on. Rest in Peace, Gary and Marie.

Every time I heard about “there are no women in comics” or summat two names always come to mind - Louise Simonson and Marie Severin.

Jacqueline Pearce, known to sci-fi fans as Servalan in Blake’s 7 passed away.

I love this anecdote from Russell T Davies:

I was moved to tears by some of the excerpts of her You, Me and the Big C podcast that were broadcast on the radio news last night.

The article is a fine tribute and also quite moving in its own right.

Inquest: Cranberries singer O’Riordan drowned after drinking

The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan accidentally drowned in a bathtub after drinking, a coroner’s inquest concluded Thursday.

A police officer told the inquest at Westminster Coroner’s Court that O’Riordan was found submerged in her bathtub at a London hotel on Jan. 15.

The 46-year-old singer didn’t leave a note and there was no evidence of self-harm.

Five miniature alcohol bottles and a bottle of champagne were found in the room, and toxicology tests revealed a blood alcohol level four times the legal limit for driving.

Coroner Shirley Radcliffe said O’Riordan died from drowning due to alcohol intoxication.

“There’s no evidence that this was anything other than an accident,” she said.

Didn’t even know he was sick.