millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

In what may be regarded as an astounding coincidence, famed theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking died on Pi Day, March 14, the day each year when scientists and mathematicians celebrate the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.

March 14 also marks the birthday of Albert Einstein, who would have turned 139 this year.

Almost immediately after news broke Wednesday morning about Hawking’s death, people on social media were making the connection to Pi Day and Einstein. Some speculated that Hawking may have planned the coincidence.

Either way, Pi Day is now synonymous with the leading theoretical physicists in all of history.

Others noted that Hawking’s birthday, Jan. 8, is the same day that famed scientist Galileo died at age 77 in 1642.

Karl Marx also died on this day, and Hawking was in favour of increased wealth redistribution. Clearly it’s all a conspiracy.

A transatlantic translation between MND/ALS may confuse some that this is the same condition. (You hear here he is giving the proceeds to MND research).

There are people on Twitter (and probably elsewhere) moaning about all the memes depicting Hawking in anything resembling an afterlife, because Hawking himself was an atheist.

Ironically enough, I think those people should get a life.

Oh, I adore conspiracies.

Forgive if I am getting the concept of Atheism wrong, but the lack of gods does not preclude the lack of an afterlife. An afterlife could simply be another plane of existence. It could have nothing to do with a deity.

Hawking didn’t believe in any of it.

“I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail,” he told the Guardian. “There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”

My point was more about the presumption of some people, that their role is be angry at others for expressing a positive sentiment, even one from a different belief system than the man himself had.

If they want to honour Hawking there are far more important things they could be doing with their time.

http://www.stephenhawkingfoundation.org/dignity-campaign/

I was so sure it would be his liver!

I wonder if they’ll bury him in the clown suit? I really hope they burn the clown suit.

He lived just long enough to see the death of his company.

Saddened to hear that the great baseball player Rusty Staub died of a heart attack today.