Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

That’s a real shame. We are currently (thanks to the kid) watching Beauty and the Beast pretty much on a daily basis.

Like many people, my main experience with his work was M * A * S * H, and while I don’t remember liking Winchester when I saw the show as a kid, he became a favourite rewatching it as an adult.

Apart from the achievement itself, the man who broke the 4 minute mile is something I learned as a child that was, unbeknownst to said child, the start of his love for knowing random trivial things. RIP.

He also had a great appearance in Star Trek: The Next Generation. This is certainly sad news. Spent a lot of time rewatching MASH last year with my dad.

I wonder how fast he might have been with modern training techniques.

If Rocky 4 taught me anything, it’s that modern training techniques aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. :wink:

I used to like Baylis when I saw his presenting work - oddly, he was a regular on The Big Breakfast for a while.

Tower Records founder Russ Solomon dies while drinking whiskey and watching the Oscars at age 92

Russ Solomon, the maverick entrepreneur who created an empire when he founded the music mega-chain Tower Records in 1960, died Sunday at the age of 92.

The retail mogul’s family told the Sacramento Bee that he suffered an apparent heart attack in his California home while kicking back to watch the Academy Awards telecast — glass of whiskey in hand.

“Ironically, he was giving his opinion of what someone was wearing that he thought was ugly, then asked [his wife] Patti to refill his whiskey,” Solomon’s son Michael — the former chief executive of Tower — told the outlet. By the time his wife had returned, he was dead.

Fair age. He could have maybe spent five minutes explaining irony to his son though.

Spent many hours at, near, around and even under Tower Records. Way to go, Russ!

Circa 2004/2005 Tower Records had a great policy of offering CDs from new or unknown artists at an extremely low price, which enabled me to discover Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, My Morning Jacket, and others. I suspect that if the stores were still around, I would still be buying CDs.

There’s a handful of local Tower franchises out there, the result of manager buyouts when the parent company went under. Japan is the most famous, but there are two branches in Dublin as well. The “main” one of the two is still good for indie and underground music. I bought so many Industrial albums there in the 90s

It’s a bit of a strange thing because brands get sold in franchises.

In the 80s and 90s there was a furniture chain called “Courts” that started in Wales but went bust. They still have Courts branches in Malaysia as the brand was franchised and unrelated to the finances of the parent company. Borders books is thriving here too. Toys R Us in my local mall looks to be doing fine.

Tower Records was one of few to totally support Tom Petty when he refused to sell one of his albums for more than the $8.98 each (or whatever they were going for at the time). Petty did not want to lead a price increase, Tower (which, at the time, meant Russ) backed him. And probably sold more copies than anybody else.