millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

You’ve probably never heard of him but this was the newsreader/presenter/anchorman in my region. He was ubiquitous.

Everyone of a certain age will remember the Larn Yersel’ Geordie broadcasts where, often with a glint in the eye, the pair mocked standard English and had fun speaking how real people in the region spoke.

When I moved up to the North East as a student, Mike Neville probably was the man I larned geordie from, just because he was on the telly so much :smiley:

He had his own show with his name in it - North East Tonight With Mike Neville - and anyone who saw the programme would realise he still had what it takes.

This time his stint would last for ten years during which the programme won awards - including the World Service Medal in New York for “Best News Magazine Programme” - and Mike himself was given a “Unique Achievement” award from the Royal Television Society recognition of 40 years as a daily television presenter.

the musician Jez Lowe wrote and recorded the song “Mike Neville Said It (So It Must Be True).

:slight_smile:

RIP

Even if the only things he did in comics were co-create Wolverine and Swamp Thing that’s a hell of a career. But he helped steer some of our favorites for a while.

Oh and he also helped create the greatest X-Man of them all!

A big thank you and godspeed to Len Wein!

Wolverine has been my favorite character since I was a little kid. A big thank you to Len Wein for co-creating him (not to mention co-creating the rest of new X-Men, Swamp Thing, and editing Watchmen!). RIP

Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, and Roy Thomas were my favorite writers during my Golden Age of Marvel Comics; but Wein never got the same level of recognition for his achievements in establishing the post-Stan-and-Jack MU.

Rest in Peace, Len; you’ve earned it.

Sad news.

Still, at least it sounds like it wasn’t fuckin’ cancer. That bastard’s racked up too big a hit count.

Len Wein made it to the front page of the Guardian website:

Len deserves it.

Tribute from Bill Sienkiewicz;

This one from Declan Shalvey:

From Neal Adams:

I mostly know Vincent from the series of ads he did for years over here.