millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

To me, she’ll always be Tess Trueheart.

And I’m not sure if we have had an obituary for quite such a divisive figure before.

I will always pillory Batman 66 just because, and I shall always love Adam West.

We tend to forget that for every Ron Perelman who gutted or bankrupted the company, there were hardworking businessmen like James Galton who did right by the company and its intellectual properties. The 1970s was a very scary time for comics fans, and we should all be grateful to this man for saving Marvel (and possibly the industry) from extinction.

I am not familiar with this chap at all or what his role was, but if you remember that 70’s Marvel gave us Master of Kung Fu, Warlock, Howard the Duck, Tomb of Dracula and Steve Gerber Defenders (and Claremont on X-Men obviously), it might have been scary but there were some interesting things still going on.

If he is responsible for keeping Marvel afloat, then I applaud him for it.

[quote=“SimonJones, post:673, topic:5713”]
it might have been scary but there were some interesting things still going on.
[/quote]I agree, the 70s was the time when Marvel experimented with genres, and also tried new formats with magazines (Monsters Unleashed, Savage Sword of Conan, etc), prose periodicals (Haunt of Horror), and large (10" x 14") Treasury Edition one-shots. These were all part of an effort to stay on the magazine racks in convenience stores and newsstands where comics were being given less and less space (due to dwindling profits being seen by the store owners, compared to their income from glossy national magazines like Time, People, Cosmopolitan, Playboy, etc). What was scary for comics collectors like me was the difficulty of finding issues of my comics on the newsstands and spinner racks each month due to spotty distribution, lower circulation, widespread cancellations, etc.

As the article above states, Galton was instrumental in moving Marvel’s focus away from newsstands and over toward direct-distribution dealers and comic shops.

John Avildsen, the director of both Rocky and the Karate Kid has passed away. I never knew that both films were directed by the same person, but in hindsight it’s kinda obvious. I love them both. RIP.

Holy crap, I was literally looking him up two nights ago on Wiki and IMDB for a thing I’m doing. He was a fair age though. He had a difficult time with people in Hollywood and the critics from what I gathered.

RIP

I’ve stopped being surprised by Babylon 5 actors dying young, but I loved his work on both that show and St. Elsewhere.

He was great in B5, I did watch St Elsewhere for a while, it’s a very influential show too.

Safe travels beyond the rim, Vir Cotto.

And then, about 2 series later… Vir gets the last word on Morden.

I may have cheered a little bit the first time I watched that episode

His heyday was a little before my time, but I still remember his voiceover work from a lot of shows as a kid.

Best known for a character he’d never get away with these days:

‘Jose Jimenez’ was one of the top acts to catch on Sullivan. Irreverent and edgy! His astronaut bit was classic. Good run, Bill!