millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

Nat Hentoff, Journalist and Social Commentator, Dies at 91

Quite a life.

Steven McDonald, a NYC police officer who was shot and paralyzed 30 years ago by a teenager in Central Park, has died from a heart attack at age 59. I don’t know how national or international his story became, but his forgiveness of the shooter and the love and support he received from his wife and son (she was pregnant when Steven was shot) was a true inspiration to a lot of New Yorkers. This is the first death of 2017 that has affected me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/steven-mcdonald-nypd-paralyzed-30-years-dead-age-59-article-1.2942612

Despite a rash of really bad cop behavior, I really appreciate any first responder. My cousin Larry was a cop, in Detroit, in the Sixties.

(btw, to lighten up, Larry’s family name? Collar.)

I’m afraid I know little about Tommy Allsup, but I find it sad that the BBC thinks that the most newsworthy thing he did was not die with Buddy Holly. “Grammy-winning musician, who played with Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison and Willie Nelson” comes several paragraphs down :frowning:

I had the exact same thought when I read the obituary earlier. It seems a bit crass.

Just saw this on Twitter:

Mark Kermode Retweeted
William Friedkin ‏@WilliamFriedkin 11m11 minutes ago
William Peter Blatty, dear friend and brother who created The Exorcist passed away yesterday

Here’s an article:

One of my politics lecturers has sadly gone:

He was always worth listening to, you might not agree but he knew how to talk.

That’s weird. I had always heard it was Waylon Jennings that was the one to swap seats on the flight that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Boppper.

Holly hired him to play bass. In Clear Lake, Iowa, Jennings gave up his seat on the ill-fated flight that crashed and killed Holly, J. P. Richardson, Ritchie Valens, and pilot Roger Peterson.

Edit: It looks like they’re both right. Allsup gave up his seat to Valens due to the coin toss and Jennings gave his seat up to Big Bopper who had the flu.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/magic-alex-mardas-sham-technological-guru-beatles-dies-022901035.html

I loved the stories about Magic Alex. He really had them believing in some of his ‘inventions’.

Gautier was one of those fellows that was all over TV in the 60’s-70’s in sitcoms mostly. Very talented, few could deadpan like him.

I loved Get Smart when I was a kid. When I was clearing out my Dad’s house I found that he held on to the old lampshade I used to put on my head when I was pretending to invoke the Cone of Silence.

He starred as Robin Hood in the Mel Brooks-created series “When Things Were Rotten” which, at the time, was the closest that American TV ever got to Monty Pythonesque comedy. Like Miqque said, Gautier used to be all over TV in the 70s.