Comics Creators

The Obituaries Thread

I regret to announce the death of the old obituaries thread.

Here is a new one in which we can celebrate the lives and mourn the deaths of people who mean something to us.

I was a big fan of the old obituaries thread. RIP to a thread that kept me entertained for a long time. You will be missed.

The number one cause of death is life. You can’t die without it.

Can’t have manslaughter without laughter…

Guys…I think Anders may be the Joker.

That would explain Batman’s reaction to learning the true identity of the Joker in recent issues of Whatever League: Crossover War since, you know… I’m Batman.

I just heard that comedian Victoria Wood has died. A shame - she was still relatively young at 62. One of the funniest voices in comedy that I remember from my youth (and she played a mean piano too). RIP.

That’s terrible. She was terrific. And a pretty good straight actress too.

I don’t have access to Youtube right now, but if someone could post The Ballad of Barry and Freda perhaps…

Really? I didn’t realise she was as old as that. Still, that’s pretty young to go.

The year is taking a battering for loses. I can’t ever remember a period this bad for it :anguished:

I love this (affectionate) parody that was created to mark RTD leaving Doctor Who:

Very sad about Victoria Wood. She seemed like she was a wonderful person.

Hoy crap! I’ve never seen that before. I think that might be one of the most British things that’s ever existed.

Yeah I agree and very talented, writer, singer and actress, I loved her sketch show on BBC2, a sad loss.

Acorn Antiques was such a spot on parody of Crossroads and its ilk.

She was generous too, and gave a lot of her very best material to other performers.

Her influence was felt outside the UK at times it seems:

Paul Feig ‏@paulfeig 1 hour ago
Very sad to hear of the passing of Victoria Wood. She was a brilliantly funny woman. If you don’t know her work, look her up. So sad.

My boyfriend had a sex manual but he was dyslexic. I was lying there and he was looking for my vinegar

Another recent piece of work from her that I enjoyed was her relatively ‘straight’ role alongside Vic Reeves in the drama about Morecambe and Wise’s early years. She was very good in that.

That was a great TV movie.

1990s WWE wrestling star Chyna dies in Southern California

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. — Chyna, the WWE star who in the 1990s became one of the best-known and most-popular female professional wrestlers in history, has died, authorities said.

Police in Southern California said they were responding to a 911 call from a friend of former WWE wrestler Chyna when they found her dead in her Redondo Beach apartment.

A friend had gone Wednesday to check on Chyna, whose real name is Joan Marie Laurer, after she had failed to answer her phone for a few days, Redondo Beach police said in a statement. The friend told the 911 operator that Laurer wasn’t breathing.

The 46-year-old Laurer was dead when officers arrived, police said. Several media outlets report that she was 45.

Neither police nor coroner’s officials have released any cause of death.

A coroner’s investigator was still at the location with the body late Wednesday night, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s Lt. Larry Dietz. He said he had no further information on the death.

The tall, muscle-bound, raven-haired Laurer billed herself as the “9th Wonder of the World” because her wrestling predecessor Andre the Giant had already called himself the eighth.

She was a member of the wrestling squad that dubbed itself “D-Generation X,” often wrestled against men and at one point was the WWE women’s champion.

On her official website a statement posted Wednesday night reads, “Today we lost a true icon, a real life superhero. Joanie Laurer aka Chyna, the 9th Wonder of the World has passed away. She will live forever in the memories of her millions of fans and all of us that loved her.”

Laurer was a native of Rochester, New York and graduated from the University of Tampa in Florida before taking up wrestling.

She joins a long list of WWE professional wrestlers who have died relatively young, including Rick Rude, Curt “Mr. Perfect” Hennig, the Ultimate Warrior and Owen Hart.

After leaving the WWE in 2001, Laurer posed for Playboy and appeared in adult films and on reality TV, including the shows “The Surreal Life” and “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.”