millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

And yet, disco is…

1 Like

Disco music going out of fashion almost instantly transformed it into Detroit and Chicago house, where they experimented with remixes as new dance material to play in the clubs reduced. As early as 1986 Farley Jackmaster Funk was having huge hits with it in the UK and Europe which grew over the next few years to dominate the music scene there. While the US mostly resisted that trend, or it had a much lower impact, now that sound fuels pretty much 90% of the pop music in America today.

So disco won in the end (and a lot of people in the middle were afraid of music that was predominantly both black and gay).

4 Likes

Disco suffered the same thing as every other movement in music, it got popular then simply morphed into something else independently outside the charts. Thus Jack had a house and in that house there is ONLY house music.

4 Likes

In the beginning there was Jack…

1 Like

Al, Al, Al … disco music was never UPhill. It would have been fine if it had been treated as a dance genre from the beginning, but nnNNNNoooOOOoooOO! They had to elbow out the rock radio stations.

The only thing I dislike more than disco music is discos. The smell of cocaine sweat mixed with frustration and artificiality was too much. And, I suspect - I’m allergic to polyester in neon colors.

1 Like

Disco was such a huge phenomenon in the mid-to-late-70s that many established rock and pop performers felt obliged to record a disco song, including the Rolling Stones (Miss You), Wings (Goodnight Tonight), The Eagles (One of These Nights) and The Who (Sister Disco), not to mention artists like the Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, and Blondie who wholeheartedly embraced the genre. I’m not convinced that disco ever died; instead, following the backlash it went into the witness protection program and changed its name and appearance.

1 Like

Good for them. By the mid 70s that was some boring shit.

2 Likes

“Bye, goodbye Sister Disco now I go
I go where the music fits my soul
and I, I will never let go”

Not quite pro-disco. Rather anti-disco.

However:

1 Like

You forgot…

3 Likes

That’s the one I always think of. Unsurprisingly it’s my favourite KISS song.

Sounds cool.

1 Like

I haven’t forgotten, although I’ve tried. :wink:

I love it when people make music of arbitrary stuff, like cutting together blair and dubya to sing a duet, or making trump sing about his billions. This was slightly different though.

1 Like

A mate of mine is currently on tour in Russia at the moment playing blues. I was unaware of the Russian Blues Explosion.

I can’t link the videos he’s put up on Facebook but here’s one of him being the talented motherfucker he is.

5 Likes

Holy fuck he’s good. He makes that 6-string sound like a 12-string.

1 Like

He’s a great guy, we used to write songs together. Doubt either of us could remember them now, it was before the dark times, back when my town was a bustling wee party town and we all thought we were going to be the biggest rockstars on the planet.

His dad was, by quite a few accounts, the best guitarist any of the people who seen him perform ever seen, but he didn’t like performing or recording so refused to and passed away with a wealth of talent and songs gone from the world. I’m glad Dom enjoys performing so much, seeing him do well is fantastic.

His actual real name is Dom Savage, which I think is a better stage name, but Dom Martin is what he went with.

2 Likes

I have a handful of friends now who are classically trained guitarists but he most reminds me of a guy I went to high school with who now specializes in teaching dobro.

1 Like

His dad taught him when he was a kid but passed away when he was pretty young. Everything he’s learnt is pretty much self taught or through watching Rory Gallagher videos and stuff or jamming with trad musicians. That track in particular I used to play in my house all the time from a live recording I’d saved on the Sky box and he used to practice watching it.

I have another close friend called Mal who was the main guy other than me in the main two bands I was in, he and Dom both learnt a lot from playing trad music and learnt how to pick up stuff by ear really easy from those type of trad jams.

When I had Mal in the studio a few weeks ago he blew the engineer away. The two of them used to just sit on my setee jamming away, it was great. It’s hard to fathom how much we got ignored by anyone outside Antrim.

3 Likes

Busking has been banned in Kensington and Chelsea:

Yesterday (15th July), despite our opposition, the Council formally introduced the busking bans.

Only 53 people of those who filled out the consultation were in favour, but that is clearly enough in a borough of 170,000 inhabitants to swing the [decision]

This is becoming a trend in the UK. I’m not sure what Councils have against busking. Personally I think it adds immeasurable joy to my trips into town. As well as directly benefiting musicians, far more than youtube ever could (except for a tiny elite). I bought a CD from a busker I saw at the weekend. Chances I would have discovered this person in any other way: zero. Busking brings music to people more directly than youtube ever could – and you’re also directly giving back to the people you hear.

A band at a gig I was at a while ago said “We saw a busker on the bridge today. A year ago, we were busking in the same spot. Always give something to buskers!”

Always give something to buskers. And fight your council if you ever get wind of a ban in your area.

3 Likes

TIL what Busking is.

TIL what TIL is.

2 Likes