millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

Last night I saw a new band formed by the ex-keyboard player of an old rock band called Magnum with the stated intent of playing all the old Magnum songs (Magnum are still touring, playing these songs themselves). Though I like him as a musician, he didn’t write a single one of their songs.

So was this “authentic”, or was it the equivalent of a covers band?

In the end, I think the answer to that question is unimportant. The only thing that mattered was that the band was superb and did the songs justice, and I was fully satisfied on both a musical and an emotional level.

But would I have enjoyed any competent cover band as much? No, I don’t think so. And that’s completely irrational, I know, but the emotional connection between the “authentic” ex-member and the audience is actually of massive importance. I don’t know why it is, and perhaps it’s silly that it is, but it is.

(My review of the gig, if anyone is interested, with the caveat that it was written for Magnum fans not a general audience.)

It’s a weird thing, supposed authenticity - yes, I’m on Oasis again.

Liam’s solo career sees him working with various songwriters to either flesh out some of his own ideas into songs, or to provide fully formed songs for him to sing - but since he was for the most part singing someone else’s words anyway while in Oasis (and still does) why is what he does now any less valid?

Interesting that we were just talking about this.

And an older similar video from the same channel.

I don’t remember the story exactly but supposedly one of the things that shaped the Smashing Pumpkins’s sound early on (either on Gish, Siamese Dream or both) was a particular guitar or amp that had an unintentional hum to it even when it wasn’t being played. They ended up leaving it because they liked it so much. So I wonder if this is the guitar.

If I stay for the Pumpkins will you stay for Noelly G?

One of those shows is actually really close to me. It’s in the same venue that I saw Willie Nelson and the Avett Brothers last year.

I’m not sure how I feel about seeing the Pumpkins again. James and Jimmy are back at least.

For @davidm:

My Brother-in-law is a huge Pink Floyd fan and I showed him these clips a few years ago. He thought they were hilarious and frequently talks about going into a Floyd Hole when he listens to them now,

(he’s also a drummer, so the Bill Bruford joke got him good)

“Don’t worry, nobody watches this shit anyway.”

https://www.magnoliaroads.com/american-roots-hoedown-press-release-2019?fbclid=IwAR2gtr-Z844gwua8y1lw0y_-fnpaORyJSkYdCxMs-TAD9AVtUpv0A--Bb7w

Sorry about the dinky pic - my li’l sis is playing (FunkyJenn & The Fringe Benefits) and so is my buddy Jason Daniels and the Jason Daniels Band.
Jason posted this:

Playboy interview with Bob Dylan from 1966:

Kids these days have no idea :wink:

I’m not sure Jason is speaking for all musicians, there. :wink:

Knowing Jason, he’s probably just speaking for musicians who agree with him.

He’s also trying to find out if there’s a reggae scene in Jackson, Mississippi.

I have no clue whether there is or not. How might one find out?

“[Death metal] fans are nice people,” said Prof Bill Thompson, from the Australian university, which is based in Sydney. “They’re not going to go out and hurt someone.”

phew :sweat_smile:

Bloodbath’s lead singer Nick Holmes told BBC News. “The lyrics are harmless fun, as the study proved.” … On the topic of the Eaten’s lyrics, he added: “… I would be frankly astounded if anyone listened to that song and then felt a desire to be eaten by a cannibal.”

Umm… that may not be all death metal. :wink:

Death metal and black metal are two entirely different things :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a subgenre. :wink:

I think technically black metal and death metal are both subgenres of extreme metal, rather than one being a subgenre of the other. Though I’m not an expert on either.

All are subgenres under the umbrella of Heavy Metal…