millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

I hear Shia Labeouf’s got a new single out soon.

The exact statement from Radiohead’s publishers:

“As Radiohead’s music publisher, it’s true that we’ve been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey’s representatives.

“It’s clear that the verses of Get Free use musical elements found in the verses of Creep and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of Creep.

“To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they ‘will only accept 100%’ of the publishing of Get Free.”

So has she misunderstood “discussions”, or is she playing up the victim to get some publicity?

Or they’re not being completely honest… I don’t think you can discount them playing the PR game either. :wink:

I’m pretty sure a lawsuit has to be filed wth a court of law, therefore its existence is a matter of public record and it would take a competent reporter about five minutes to tell us who is lying…

Still waiting…

:expressionless:

Oh, I wasn’t talking about a lawsuit. I was talking about what had been said between their representation.

Also, she says they will “deal with it in court”, not it has been dealt with in court. It sounds like the negotiation phase has broken down. Lawsuit may have been shorthand for a cease and desist. There’s usually not as much difference made in the US.

So, taking a step back and looking at the whole copying/sampling thing (and with the full disclosure that my favourite band shamelessly plagiarised everything they could)…

It seems to me that if your business is writing songs, but you can’t think up enough songs by yourself so you have to use other people’s ideas…

Then you’re in the wrong business :expressionless:

There’s also the idea that music is actually a very iterative process and there’s really nothing new under the sun.

You really want to open that can of worms?

Her initial comment was “it’s true about the lawsuit”, which doesn’t necessarily count as a claim that one has been filed, just a suggestion that it’s in the works. So both sides could be telling the truth. From a certain point of view.

You’re right though, if one had been formally filed, it would be pretty easy to find it.

The two aren’t necessarily the same if you are referring to sampling. DJ shadow famously creates new songs by piecing various bits of completely unconnected songs together.

Shadow’s first full-length work, Endtroducing…, was released in late 1996 to critical acclaim. Endtroducing would go on to make the Guinness World Records book for “First Completely Sampled Album” in 2001. The only pieces of equipment Shadow used to produce the album were the AKAI MPC60 12-bit sampling drum machine, a pair of turntables and a borrowed-by-visiting Pro Tools setup from an early adopter of the technology, Dan “The Automator” Nakamura. In November 2006 Time magazine named it one of its “All-Time” 100 best albums.

There’s also the moral element (as we often see in comics art) with acknowledged influence/homage, often paid for like with the previous Taylor Swift example, and trying to pass off someone else’s work as your own.

Yet remarkably, despite there being “nothing new under the sun”, thousands of band manage to release millions of songs every year and nobody says “That’s copied from…”

I think there’s plenty new under the sun. But some are less new than others :wink:

I’m happy to throw it out and see what bites :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s interesting though if you think about it. If you look at Spotify or something similar there will be hundreds of thousands of songs that however music savvy you are you will never have heard. Bands with 12 albums or 120 songs and you’ve never listened to any of them.

There must be a good chance I could just dream up my own little ditty off the top of my head now and it matches the melody of one of them, there only so many notes.

It’s a bit difficult to argue that for a musician with The Air That I Breathe or Creep or even I’m Too Sexy because they were pretty big hits that still get played a lot. I’d assume most people here have heard them except maybe the Hollies song due to its age for some of the younger posters (I mean it’s from before I was born like every song from The Beatles but still played a lot when I listened as a teen to stuff like Fluff Freeman on Sundays).

There’s the old story about Paul McCartney thinking he had done exactly that when he wrote Yesterday, and going round asking everybody if they recognised the melody because he was sure it couldn’t be original.

And George Harrison denying same when he was sued over My Sweet Lord being a rip-off of He’s so fine.