millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

I look at it this way: I don’t have to go with her to the concerts and I get some me-time.

Turn the negatives into positives.

I’ve got no problem with Laura going to gigs on her own/with friends. She’s a big Jack White fan and will always go see him, but I don’t go with her. I went to 4 gigs this year without her too. There’s a difference between that, and going to see Metallica.

It’s all about unconditional love.

In other matters:

However, the NFL revealed Sunday that at least two rappers will join the band on-stage this year: Travis Scott and Outkast alum Big Boi (Antwan André Patton) will each perform with Maroon 5 at the 2019 Super Bowl halftime show.

Good to know I can skip the halftime show. I wouldn’t be surprised if Scott proposes to Kylie Kardashian during the performance, though.

This is pretty cool:

Per Billboard, Scott agreed to perform in exchange for the NFL co-sponsoring a $500,000 donation to Dream Corps, a social justice organization. Scott said in a statement, “I back anyone who takes a stand for what they believe in. I know being an artist that it’s in my power to inspire. So before confirming the Super Bowl Halftime performance, I made sure to partner with the NFL on this important donation. I am proud to support Dream Corps and the work they do that will hopefully inspire and promote change.”

Booooooooo!
80’s Metallica were amazing. Everything else?
Meh.

Metallica were always shit.

KMFDM suck :stuck_out_tongue:

The article quotes that his tour has been selling out and got expanded to Australia dates. I think it’s the media image more than the general public who seems less bothered.

In the UK at least I think it’s what you mention of some of that pretty terrible later work, it was also really overplayed, it was hard to escape him for a while. Also external factors - he made some pretty dumb political comments about being hard up because of tax when he’s clearly loaded (the UK for the last 20 years has pretty low tax by European standards), left for a tax haven home in Switzerland and then supposedly dumped his wife via fax to run off with a woman half his age.

https://www.heavymetalonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/TP158.jpg

Giving it some thought, my relationship with Metallica mirrors my relationship with Star Wars.

80s Metallica (Kill’em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All) is like the Original Trilogy. I love it dearly, and it was a huge part of my life. Brilliant and like nothing I have ever seen or heard before.

90s Metallica (Black Album, Load, ReLoad) is like the Prequel Trilogy. I was generally let down, though there occasional flashes of brilliance and old magic, but I found the output too slick and polished, too commercial and calculated. Though I have now mostly made peace with them being part of the canon.

Death Magnetic and Hardwired to Self Destruct are like The Force Awakens, in that they are fairly by-the numbers attempts to recapture the old magic. It sounds good on paper, but it’s missing the magic and urgency of the old days. Enjoyable, but it seems like it isn’t really adding much to the canon.

Which makes St. Anger like The Last Jedi, where nothing clicked. Complete creative misfire while attempting to do something new.

Just finished beating amazon Music into shape. Had the damnedest time trying to download stuff I’d bought, and. yeah, they simply made it tremendously complicated. Only 1.2G, but those are my tunes!

Music management! At least I’m not ripping CDs! (Those are on the drive i can’t access right now. Grrr!)

I’m surprised by how much talk Metallica gets in here…

But the real question is Metallica or Megadeth? =P

It’s more about him not being cool - sure he’s still popular enough to sell out massive venues, but the people buying those tickets are dorks. That’s the issue.

That kind of scorn comes with being big and being a bigger target - but some acts manage to escape it (Prince for example).

And there was the rumour that he would be returning if the Tories won the next election, and the assumption from that that he was a Tory - he denied ever voting for them. Early on Oasis declared their mission was to wipe the charts clean of Collins, Sting, and their ilk.

And he was in “A Hard Day’s Night” as a 13 year old actor.

I just gained a newfound love for Phil Collins and Sting.

32%20PM

Meanwhile, Peter Gabriel kept releasing albums called Peter Gabriel and nobody said nuthin’.

He did though get more success once he stopped calling all his albums ‘Peter Gabriel’ and splashed out on two letter titles instead.

He’s briefly in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too, he had a bit of a career as a child actor in the 1960s.

That’s not even a real question :stuck_out_tongue: