millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

Ah. I guess I didn’t know the specifics of it. Just remember it being reported similarly at the time. To be fair, that’s been 20 years. :wink:

Oh no that bit is wrong, these guys have the greatest luck with legal matters.

Verve was their old name which they had to change to The Verve after being sued by some obscure band. :smile:

"Well, there was another group, in the east end, called the Originals…”

I almost added the “The” to their name. There was another band from the same time frame called The Verve Pipe (known for the song The Freshmen) that I always confused them with too.

This one happened a lot around that time frame especially it seemed with bands that I enjoyed. Blink had to become Blink 182 because of a legal dispute with an Irish band by the same name and the Bosstones had to become the Mighty Mighty Bosstones to avoid issues with an a cappella group.

Another fun one was a band from the area where I grew up called Orco. I had originally thought they changed their name to avoid a lawsuit with Mattel but evidently there was another band that had been using the name 3 years longer than they had. They became Revis whos main claim to fame was the song Caught in the Rain off the Daredevil soundtrack.

I had also been wondering why The Air I Breathe had been getting so much radio play on the oldies show I listen to lately. Previously, this was what I heard if anyone ever played the Hollies.

Not this one?

Hmm. I don’t think that’s not the version of that song that I’m most familiar with, maybe the Neil Diamond version…I dunno. On the classic rock radio stations I used to listen to and now the oldies show that plays on Sundays on what is usually an alternative station, Long Cool Woman is much more common.

It is a bit more American classic rock radio fare.

‘He Ain’t Heavy’ had a big re-release and was a hit again in the UK in the 80s after being on an advert. It was number 1 the first time around though and number 7 on the US billboard charts.

He Ain’t Heavy or Long Cool Woman?

Looks like Long Cool Woman hit #2 on the US Billboard charts. Also a lot of the classic rock stations tended more toward 70’s style rock which Long Cool Woman leans more toward.

Definitely Long Cool Woman.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard Long Cool Woman before. I would surprised if it ever got radio play in the UK.

But it sounds like it’s ripped off from a John Fogerty song (Miqque will probably come in and tell us which one), so appropriate to the current discussion :slight_smile:

this is the one I remember from childhood unfortunately.

Looking at the discography, you aren’t wrong. Number 32 and their lowest charting song between 1963 and 1980. Like I said it has a very ‘American classic rock’ sound so it doesn’t surprise me too much.

And in the 70s :wink:

Ha! Beat me to it!

Similar to that The Verve ruling, Oasis’ “Step Out” was originally going to be on What’s the Story Morning Glory; it sounded a bit too much like Stevie Wonder’s “Uptight”, so was pulled from the album at the last minute (early preview pressings include it).

It ended up being a B-side on the “Don’t Look Back in Anger” single, which sold over a million copies (!) in the UK anyway, so Stevie Wonder still made off with some good cash as a credited co-writer (though not as much as if he was to get a 24th of the royalties from that particular album).

It’s not Mick and Keith getting those The Verve royalties though, it’s Allen Klein:

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a six-note sample from the Oldham recording, but former Stones manager Allen Klein (who owned the copyrights to the band’s pre-1970 songs) claimed that The Verve broke the agreement and used a larger portion. Despite its original lyrics and string intro (by Wil Malone and Ashcroft), the music of “Bitter Sweet Symphony” was sampled from the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Klein’s holding company, and eventually settled out of court. The Verve relinquished all of their royalties to Klein, owner of ABKCO Records, whilst songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft.

The Verve bassist Simon Jones said, “We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing. They rung up and said we want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don’t have much choice.”

Taylor Swift just went ahead and gave partial credit Right Said Fred for one of her recent singles right off the bat, even though they had nothing to do with the song and aren’t sampled. She just wanted to avoid the hassle of a lawsuit.

Apparently her management asked them for permission without saying who it was, and they said yes. Now they’re going to be cashing checks for this for a long time.

On top of the “I’m too sexy money” which would still be an earner around the world to this day.

Radiohead are now saying they haven’t sued over Lana Del Rey’s song.

Christ! Now she’s plagiarising someone else’s previous lawsuit, when will it ever end?