millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

This is dumb. Looking at the context of the song now instead of the context in which it was written assigns meaning where it was clearly not intended or even hinted at.

Not sure how that one ever became a Christmas song to begin with.

I think it’s all the references to it being cold outside.

Science proves that pop music is getting more repetitive (and then this guy argues pretty convincingly for why that’s not a bad thing):

Not sure if this video will work outside of Australia - a short Media Watch report on the “scandal”:

And finally, with the festive season approaching, let’s find out what the fun police are banning this year:

SONG: I really can’t stay / Baby it’s cold outside / I’ve got to go away / Baby it’s cold outside / This evening has been, so very nice / I’ll hold your hands they’re just like ice …

• Nine News Now, Channel Nine, 3 December, 2018

Yes, as the strapline says, it’s a “CHRISTMAS CAROL SCANDAL”.

Which gripped the world’s media after a two-bit radio station, Star 102 in Cleveland Ohio, banned the song.

As their drive presenter Glenn Anderson explained:

… in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place.

• Cleveland Star 102, 27 November, 2018

Some reports claim that only one person complained.

And when Star 102 asked listeners if they wanted Baby it’s Cold Outside to stay on the playlist, 94 per cent said yes.

The host continued:

Yes, offence is everywhere, if you know where to look. And the media’s always ready to give it oxygen.

As This Morning host Gayle King noted on CBS:

GAYLE KING: We are losing our sense of humour nowadays. And I’m a big favour, I’m a big supporter and big proponent of the #MeToo movement, but I just don’t think we have to nit-pick every single little thing. I know I’m going to get hammered for this so, let me just keep, let’s just move along …

• CBS This Morning, 7 December, 2018

A brave call to make. But I agree.

Giving airtime to stupid stories like that makes people less likely to take real-life allegations of sexual abuse and harassment as seriously as they should.

https://www.rockhall.com/2019-inductees/

• The Cure
  • Def Leppard
  • Janet Jackson
  • Stevie Nicks
  • Radiohead
  • Roxy Music
  • The Zombies

Wow, weirdly solid year for the rock HOF.

See? Fuck you all, I said the Zombies would eventually get in, it’s not all pointless, just a very slow-moving queuing system.

You’re up earlier than me. Again!

Hey, got three free Zombies concerts from Germany, live, as they pimped themselves.

Some of these anecdotes are amusing.

Funny how Christmas no.1 doesn’t really feel like a thing any more.

I think the switch to mostly digital purchases killed it really. When you had to go out and buy some form of plastic for the equivalent of about 4 quid there was a certain commitment there. Now a single is the price of a Mars Bar and you can buy one on the toilet from your phone the chart behaves quite randomly.

(I know a couple of those races are in the digital age but with any technology it takes a while for the majority to adopt, things like every track from Ed Sheeran’s album hitting the top 10 are relatively recent).

I didn’t realize this was a real thing; I just thought it was a story thread in LOVE, ACTUALLY
love

I wonder if it’s a more UK centered thing. I don’t remember it being a thing either.

I guess over here in the New World we’re too busy making end-of-year lists to worry about Christmas pop songs.

Oh look! Kanye is tweeting again!

Oh it is a UK thing (or was). That single sells by far the most of the year and is featured on TV just before The Queen gives her speech.

I won the quiz jackpot the other day by knowing the best selling #2 record ever was Last Christmas by Wham. It would have been top at any other time but it went against Bob Geldof’s Band Aid single which sold crazy amounts for famine relief in Ethiopia (and George Michael sings on too).

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

For a change I am very serious on this one. The Queen broadcasts to the Commonwealth at 3pm every Christmas Day, before that, sometimes immediately is Christmas Top of the Pops which plays the biggest hits of the year and ends on the number one. (See BBC1 guide).