millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

Yes this is because the British are less egotistical and are more community focused than the American drive for individual dominance.

This can be seen in great team players across the years that have sued each other and held enormous personal grudges for decades. :smile:

What about the Crickets and the Beach Boys while Tom Jones was swanning around distributing his testosterone indiscriminately? :wink:

Dude, what did you expect from the Welsh?

Watch it! The Byrds are SUPERB.

If you’re choosing bands on their entertainment value on the school bus I’d put Aerosmith, AC/DC and even Iron Maiden in as well. Like you I travelled on South Wales school buses and frankly the quality threshold is pretty low!:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a lot to hang on a band who’s only real hit was California Dreamin’

Eh? Are you thinking of the Mamas and the Papas?

No, the Mamas and the Papas were the ones who sang Yesterday Once More

You must be Feeling On Top of the World.

Is that a Daft Punk reference?

Ah that’s new music. I don’t listen to new music.

I think that’s more to do with The Byrds not successfully crossing the Atlantic, so you would only ever hear those three songs.

Which maybe excludes them from the list for not having significant international penetration. Which really excludes Creedence too.

Also, I’m not sure how Dylan can be excluded from a top 10. And you may have to consider Hendrix.

The Byrds split up the first time the year I was born. Their discography says their albums were all roughly charted equally or better in the UK. Their second album peaked at 17 in the States, 11 in the UK. In the US they had 3 top 20 hits, in the UK it was 2.

I would add I like The Byrds, it’s just they don’t have anywhere near the catalogue of these other bands in the conversation.

I do like that one album I mentioned but agree with this. They are far down the list of greatest bands, personal tastes exempted.

Ya. The Byrds’ influence is quite a bit deeper than their catalog. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, one of the spinoffs from The Byrds, would probably be better to put forward for that criteria.

A popular live band, couldn’t name any of their tunes. Googled their biggest hit “Just a Song Before I Go” and had never heard it before, seriously.

I could actually name more Hollies songs after Nash left the band. “He Ain’t Heavy”, “Long Cool Woman” and “The Air That I Breathe” were top 10 US hits. I’m promoting The Hollies in this argument. Fight off against The Byrds. :smile:

How did that come up as the biggest CSNY song in your Google search?

I was going to ask the same question.

I thought Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young was four separate bands

Here’s a little better list. At least it has Teach Your Children, Our House and Ohio. The band also existed/exists sometimes without Young.

CSNY were at Woodstock and Altamont. So they were instrumental in the beginning and demise of that movement.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Wikipedia