millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Music Thread

Is there much of a back-and-forth or is it more of an extended solo?

He’s respectfully listening to my 120-minute concept argument before politely clapping at the end.

So Kanye says to 88-Keys, “Pop in, have a cup of tea,” or whatever, and 88-Keys shows them 13 different beats. One of them is my guitar riff and that’s the one they chose. It’s an absolutely wonderful bit of bizarre serendipity. If I ever meet 88-Keys, I’ll have to shake his hand and buy him a pint.

In the summer of 2011, just a couple of weeks after the phone call, Watch the Throne came out and it was a huge hit. It got to No 1; then it went platinum. “No Church in the Wild” is the first track on the album, so the first thing you hear on Jay Z and Kanye’s album is my riff, and yet they probably don’t even know who I am.

I’m owed six figures. Six figures plus, which is more than I’ve made in the past 15 years with Roxy. I haven’t got paid yet

That was three years ago. I hope he’s been paid by now :open_mouth:

That’s an interesting sample and fairly prevalent in the track. It’s the first time I’ve listened to it and it’s not bad.

Did you know Lorcan recently got the book with that comic strip in it?

(Just thought I would skip a few steps to save time.)

It was a collection of the comic that strip came from, David!

Saw Iron Maiden at the weekend. They’re touring their greatest hits rather than an actual album so it was a fantastic show, as was expected. Pure pantomime (props including flamethrowers and life-size spitfires saw to that) and the band always seem to have fun on stage but this wouldn’t mean anything without the fact the band are musically tight as fuck. Roll on next tour!

And Sean and Dhani Harrison:

I guess Sean’s not big on smiling.

The Times lists the five greatest living rock guitarists (cleverly avoiding having to put Hendrix in yet another list :wink: ). Anything like this is going to be subjective, of course, but I would find it hard to argue against any of these:

Nile Rodgers is the greatest living rock guitarist. Trey Anastasio is second. In my opinion.

For me a top five might look like Rodgers, Anastasio, Fripp, Van Halen, and…St. Vincent?

Anyway, I’ve been listening to this DJ mix while getting some work done today. Very playful, good beats, and some clever mashups. Good stuff.

The third one seems a bit suspect. :wink:

The greatest living guitarist is Dick Dale.

Everyone else is fighting for a distant second place.

Beating King of Pop, The Eagles have No.1 album of all-time

The Recording Industry Association of America told The Associated Press on Monday that the Eagles’ album — “Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975” — is now certified 38x platinum, which means sales and streams of the album have reached 38 million copies.

The album was released in 1976 and pushes Jackson’s “Thriller,” which is 33x platinum, to second place.

RIAA also said that the Eagles’ “Hotel California,” released in 1977, is now 26x platinum and makes it the third best-selling album of all-time.

Box Office Mojo