Comics Creators

The Music Thread

AKA the “is Liam Gallagher a Rock Star?” thread.

Music’s good and stuff.

By show of hands, have any of you ever met a person who is utterly disinterested in music? I’ve known three, one of which is the mother of my former best friend. She owns not even a single piece of music in any format, and in her car would only ever listen to NPR.

My grandmother on my father’s side, she claimed to not like any form of music at all. Which is very controversial in Wales, the culture is very centred around music (Google the ‘land of song’ and see what appears).

I know some people who really don’t get into buying music but will hum along to the radio, nobody else that took it to that extreme.

That seems quite odd indeed, but not far off from the woman I mentioned as well. And anywho, is there really any country where music isn’t one of the primary cornerstones of cultural non-biologically necessary human activities? I think it’d be pretty odd anywhere.

Probably not but it’s just very inherent in Wales as part of the formal culture. For example being a member of the choir in school for me was compulsory and presumed. The religious movement was obsessed primarily with hymns (and she was a regular chapel goer). I have never heard of that to the same extent in any other place I’ve been in, people only opted in for choir practice.

That aside though, even 35 years or so back she assumed it was something akin to a dyslexia of music, when that kind of thing was not acknowledged that much. It was so unusual it was a medical/mental health problem she had.

OMG :open_mouth:

Okay, that’s pretty nuts. Out of curiosity, was choir generally associated with religious music?

Similar question: are there religious groups that ban music? I can’t think of any off hand. The Puritans sang hymns, the Amish sing hymns, even the Jehova’s Witnesses sing hymns as far as I know.

No, not in school. None of the songs were religious.

There’s a tradition of ‘eisteddfod’ which is maybe the oldest known cultural competition. It extends really from bardic tradition when all stories were essentially songs or poems. In Ireland it is probably better represented nowadays in the pub music, in Scotland by the ceilidh and the focus on Burns’ poetry.

On St David’s Day we had a half day of school, no lessons, the morning was eisteddfod, everyone took part either in singing, dance or reciting poetry. This extended to a national structure where we had local, county and national competition. My entire class came second nationally in choir, no auditions, everyone in the year was in the choir.

In the world? If so, that’s pretty cool!

There are some that ban musical instruments (though I’m not sure why) but I don’t know of any that outright ban music.

I dated a Jehovah’s Witness and their hymns are interesting. Like they’re all right out of Revelations.

As with all things rather ancient it is open to debate but it has a good claim.

My brother told me he was amazed when he went to England for university and found a housemate that could not sing in tune to songs on the radio. He’d never experienced that before as we all had singing lessons at elementary school level. That emphasis is a lot more pronounced in the Welsh language education we had compared to those in English medium.

We all had singing lessons from the age of 5 in England too.

I still can’t sing along in tune to songs on the radio.

Believe me, not in the same way. I have plenty of English friends to make the comparisons. Up to the end of primary school, all included in proper serious stuff, teaching how to sing from the head or diaphragm and to a metronome for timing, alto and soprano harmonies. It was this level approach:

(Mike somehow thinks I look like this choir master, I am not bald at the back and don’t have Timmy Mallett glasses). :smile:

Don’t all Welsh people look the same? :wink:

Ok, no, nothing like that.

Here are some famous Welsh people.

They are identical. Just as all Americans look like this:

:wink: :smile:

Coming back to the spirit of the what is/isn’t a rock star discussion: is Katherine Jenkins an opera singer?

(I’ll let you think about your answer before presenting the evidence.)

Popular Welsh “opera star” Katherine Jenkins has never sung in an opera.

I’m not really qualified to say, she looks mighty pretty and sounds okay to me but opera has never been my thing. Isn’t there now a “pop opera” category?

Generally away from that I’m not really that interested in adherence to genre or discipline, most of my favourite artists vault over and between them for fun. I got interested in the new Noel Gallagher record because he was produced by David Holmes who is an electronic music and not a rock and roll guy.

Same here. I like to point out irrationalities in labelling to show people that… well, labelling music is irrational :smiley: