millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Millarworld Eurovision 2018 live chat thread!

The best annual tradition of all continues! The Eurovision song contest final is tomorrow night, and as always we will be here to discuss the musical merits of each performer, in a rich and cultured environment… Oh, who am I kidding, we’re going to make fun of everyone and complain that nobody’s had milk churners since Poland a few years ago.

The official website, with the commentary-less live stream will be here:

(and on the Eurovision YouTube channel)

While most national broadcasters will have it running with colour commentary from someone or other.

And somehow, Ireland’s in the final! I’m sure our song sucks!

5 Likes

I’ve heard it, it’s excellent.

5 Likes

I legit don’t get why we haven’t gotten Neil Hammond to write a Eurovision entry yet.

2 Likes

There was speculation a few years ago that Morrissey was going to enter for the UK. Since, to paraphrase Father Ted, he’s a ‘racist now’ he could do a song insulting Eastern Europeans to further endear the much loved British entry to the voting public of Europe.

Edited for typo that Dave Wallace cruelly emphasised to spoil my joke.

1 Like

I’d certainly be egging him on.

I think it improved it! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Although I’m not foolish enough to go so far as to suggest the UK’s song might win, I think it may do ok. It was easily the best of the options in the You Decide show and hearing it again on Ken Bruce’s show this morning, it sounds Eurovisiony enough to do moderately well (by which I mean it sounds a bit like some of the winners from the past few years).

Plus, SuRie really seems to know what she’s doing, unlike the fresh-faced naive wannabes we sometimes send out there to die, or the tired old has-beens that don’t really care that much.

Still, it’s no Electro Velvet, single-handedly trying to create their own Techno-Bluesgrass genre.

1 Like

Here’s the running order.

The UK is about a third of the way in, but I have a feeling I’m going to be ‘tired and emotional’ by the time Ireland roll around in the antepenultimate slot.

1 Like

Yes, something tells me our European neighbours are not going to be feeling particularly well-disposed towards voting for the UK at the moment.

2 Likes

I don’t know, making us spends millions to host Eurovision just months after we leave the EU (long enough for the economy to be crashing) seems like a pretty solid move on their part.

It’s going to be really awkward if Australia wins, given the assumption is generally that they would nominate us to host it.

4 Likes

Did you just make that up? :suspicious:

1 Like

No, it means the last but one of your mum’s sisters.

6 Likes

I haven’t heard it, but I did see this on the Wikipedia page:

During the Chinese broadcast of the first semi-final on Mango TV, both Albania and Ireland were edited out of the show, along with their snippets in the recap of all 19 entries. Albania was skipped due to a ban on television performers displaying tattoos that took effect in January 2018 while Ireland was censored due to its representation of a homosexual couple on-stage. In addition, the LGBT flag and tattoos on other performers were also blurred out from the broadcast.

As a result, the EBU has terminated its partnership with the Chinese broadcaster, citing that censorship “is not in line with the EBU’s values of universality and inclusivity and its proud tradition of celebrating diversity through music,” which lead to a ban on televising the second semi-final and the grand final in the country. A spokesperson for the broadcaster’s parent company Hunan TV said they “weren’t aware” of the edits made to the programme. Ireland’s representative, Ryan O’Shaughnessy told the BBC in an interview, “they haven’t taken this lightly and I think it’s a move in the right direction, so I’m happy about it.”

3 Likes

every year we have a Eurovision party where we all get assigned a country and have to bring food/drink from that country. This year we decided to do country themed costumed instead. Everybody’s arrived and nobody than me has bothered to show up in costume. Safe to say, I think my Norway themed costume has won the competition.

Behold Thelsor! The queen of thunder!

:bouvet_island::bouvet_island::bouvet_island:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ohhhhhh life
is bigger
is bigger than you but you are not me

1 Like

Barber: Hi, what haircut do you want?
Man: Shave it all off.
Barber: Everything?
Man: Hang on. Everything I can’t get in this wicked ponytail.

2 Likes

Awkward timing for a military coup in Portugal.

2 Likes

That’s was a depressing start to the show.

1 Like

That sounded like a memorial song to the war dead of Eurovision.

3 Likes

Hang on, this looks like the same stage as last year!