millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Iron Fist TV thread! Spoilers abound!

The OA is interesting too. Most of the episodes are around the hour mark but one is just 30 minutes long and another 40 minutes, the opening episode is 70 minutes.

They seem to be using the freedom allowed to make the format fit their story rather than the other way around.

I’m only 3 episodes in but just like Stranger Things it seems refreshing in that there’s no feeling of filler or repetition you see in so many longer run shows.

Episode 7, 8 and 9

I continue to be mystified at how they have chosen to play Danny Rand. At first, he just seemed naive. As I see more episodes, he seems more like some kind of weird, privileged, stoner man child who has bizarre emotional outbursts, like a Rainbow Person who has come back home to mom and dad’s money with huge expectations on the world around them but none of the skills actually needed to benefit it.

I’ve honestly really enjoyed the fights in the Netflix Marvel shows to this point. They’ve tended to highlight each characters’ strengths. The Iron Fist should have pulled out all of those stops as that is his thing. However, every fight continues to be disappointing. The drunken master fight should have been Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul instead we got Obi-Wan vs. Vader with none of the drama of that fight. When the main character is a kung fu character, it’s pretty galling when the fights aren’t any good.

It’s also bizarre how they skirt around Danny’s origin so much. They’ve been dolling it out in pieces and always seem to avoid the, “I plunged my fist into the heart of a dragon.” part. If they’d had a few dollars for a CGI dragon (even a dream sequence-like blurry one), I think it would go a long way in this realm. Either do the origin and K’un Lun or don’t, this odd in between just feels like a budget dodge. Also, the Iron Fist seems to still only work on doors.

Despite my complaints, I really am still enjoying the show and end each episode wanting more. I think the drama is better than the action. Ward Meechum is probably more interesting to me than Danny. I am also really starting to like Colleen especially with the mystery surrounding her and her sensei from the end of the last episode I watched.

I would like an Iron Fist that would seem like a genuine asset to the Defenders but will settle for a series that does some serious set up for the Hand as the big baddies for that series.

I haven’t watched the show, but I have watched the fight scenes on YouTube. They’re not just “not any good.” They’re terrible. Laughingly, horribly terrible.

Jones appears to have no athletic ability. And it looks like the entire sum of his preparation for the fight scenes was a quick walk through with the stunt team seconds prior to filming.

Marvel and Netflix should be embarrassed.

I think he said in an interview the other day that this was pretty much the case.

That’s a pretty big omission in a show that’s largely about kung fu. I know I joked about it early but why didn’t they put a mask on him during fight scenes and switch out for a stunt man?

Who needs to worry about budget or quality with a built in fanbase?, say the Disney-MCU overlords.

Well I hope he’s embarrassed, too.

I hope he also learns from this and is spending every waking moment learning to fight so when Defenders comes around he can show off.

Here’s the interview.

[quote]How was the martial arts training? It seems like it’d be quite intense?

It was very intense to begin with. When I first moved over to New York, before I started actually filming, I had three weeks of very intense martial arts and weight training preparation. But then unfortunately once the show started, the filming schedule was just so tight – I was working 14 hours every day, six days a week, days into nights, nights into days – and actually my schedule didn’t allow me to continue the training as much as I really hoped.

So really on my days off, I only had Sunday and half a day on Saturday off, I’d be in the gym and trying to keep up with being flexible and learning martial arts. But really, I was learning the fight scenes 15 minutes before we actually shot them because the schedule was so tight. So 15 minutes before the stunt director would talk me through the choreography and I’d just jump straight into it. It really was a baptism of fire and I just learned on the job and I’ve been doing it for 12 months now. With practise you just get better and better with dealing with that kind of schedule.[/quote]

Right, because if there’s one thing Disney is known for it’s poor quality work.

Congratulations, Finn. You look like a guy with three weeks’ training.

Did you see Beauty and the Beast?

The cartoon? Yes, it’s fantastic. The live action one just released? No but the reviews are good.

I’m just saying that it and Iron Fist…it’s Disney not trying because they don’t feel like they have to.

There you have it, all Disney films will be shit from now on. Don’t bother guys with Guardians II or Star Wars VIII, they just don’t try and can’t be bothered.

It started with Iron Fist and the rot has set in. :smile:

Haha, I fail to see how this wasn’t the case with either Beauty or Iron Fist.

But, whatever, I’m used to people on here marginalizing my opinions.

Pretty sure Defenders is in the can at this point, it’s out in a few months.

(EDIT: Wiki says it finished filming this month)

I’m really not a fan of assuming the efforts of people. I think it’s bollocks. As the famous quote goes ‘nobody tries to make a bad movie’.

Iron Fist may have faced scheduling problems, Beauty and the Beast may not be great (although the consensus seems to be it’s okay, just comparing itself too directly against the cartoon that got a ‘best film’ nomination). I don’t believe any of that says they don’t care and won’t make an effort as they are successful.

Iron Fist doesn’t seem to be a case of Disney not trying but rather them struggling with what they wanted their take to be and then running out of time because of the contracts they signed with Netflix and just having to get it done. That’s the problem with building towards a big crossover. If one part falls behind everything that comes after is affected.

I’m not saying they went out of their way to make it bad, but they clearly didn’t want to break out of the tone and atmosphere of the other shows.
Which would have been an effort.

If that’s the schedule the show as made under (and I have reason to believe otherwise) then they screwed up, plain and simple. Someone, somewhere under-estimated what was required.

But as I said earlier, I was put off by the writing long before I got to worrying about how bad the fights were.