millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Iron Fist TV thread! Spoilers abound!

Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word? I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either.”

“Iron Fist isn’t Oriental…oh darn it, I’m not supposed to say Oriental now :open_mouth: Come on brain, what’s the correct word? I’ll just make a quip to show I know I made a mental slip because goshdarnit I’m 76 and the word I want to use escapes me…”

But I’ll admit a bias in my interpretation, I try to ascribe good intentions to my heroes wherever possible :slight_smile:

I would be a lot more sympathetic if he were being sympathetic to the people who are taking issue with the portrayals. He comes off very condescending and self serving. The use of the racial insensitive term only adds insult to injury. He’s old and set in his ways not dumb. His mom was very sweet though. :slight_smile:

Edited to change the smiley as I meant it as an honest compliment to Mrs. Thomas. :wink:

Now now, let’s leave the mothers out of this :wink:

Can we please stop talking like no one here understands what casual racism is? I think the members here deserve a bit better than that. FWIW, Henwick had the best response I think - she mentioned what the term means and why it shouldn’t be used but she wasn’t out to crucify what might be a product of age not intent. She kept it simple, but upheld her human rights.

Why do you feel it’s OK to discuss casual racism in other situations but not this one? Are there any other racially derogatory terms that he could have used that would change your response? I honestly took issue with this before Henwick’s response went public.

It’s not that.

Someone in this thread seems to be beating people over the head with the definition of casual racism. I’m sure there’s more than a few people here that might have experienced it. In the context of casual condescencion, it’s worth a note.

It’s not the definition I’m taking issue with. It’s the attitude that “It’s not really racist because I like it/him.” It’s OK to still like the things you like but it’s a bit head in the sand to deny the problems within.

Believe me, there are a fair few things/people that I love and think think they are some of the greatest things on this earth that have/had problems in this area. I still love them but I realize there are/were problems there and don’t wave them away.

Because it was asked:

You’re asking us to check out biases but are you doing the same? You defended Kill Bill earlier (weakly).

You’ve met Thomas so have some more context then others; that’s fine; I just feel like you’re repeating your talking points to an extend where they’re not adding any depth to the conversation - and it’s positioning some posters as if they’re ‘waving away’ racism, which, I think may be dramatically untrue.

We talk about the topics here, not the posters, and we don’t bad-mouth creators. I think, generally, we don’t try to exert particular authority over a topic unless it’s totally warranted - perhaps those are guidelines we should remember.

More to my initial point - I am aware you’re partnered with someone who has probably suffered casual racism. I think lots and lots of people in this thread probably have, or know someone that has - I was just growing a little sick of seeing it explained again.

Okay we’re done with this line of discussion, it’s going in circles, let’s carry on with reviews of the show.

Clearly this is the best TV show to ever feature an uncharismatic white guy as a kung fu mystical master hanging out in New York.

Is the martial he practices actually kung fu or is “kung fu” being used as collective term for any martial art?

It’s edit bay fu…

Shit man, kungfu (really gongfu, in Mandarin anyway) is so nebulous and with so many schools, you’d have to be quite the expert to say, and I’m really not qualified. I will say that, with the slight knowledge I have, it doesn’t appear to incorporate Japanese, Korean, or the Southeast Asian martial arts that I’m familiar with, and the fluidity of motion makes me think of Chinese martial arts, for what it’s worth.

Your response makes me think of this Cracked article:

There were definitely a couple Wushu moves that I spotted in there.

Hell, you guys would probably know better than me. Kungfu is barely a thing in China, my knowledge mostly comes from just Chinese pop movies, and this one white guy from Oregon that I met on a flatbed truck in southern Thailand who apparently had spent half a year training at Shaolin temple!

Are we sure about that? I feel like there must be other shows set in New York that feature uncharismatic white kung fu masters in some way, at least.

My tattoo artist, Josh Lord, studied with a real Shaolin monk. He actually ended up going to China, with the RZA of all people, to visit Wu Tang mountain for a competition. He’s one of the only non-Chinese martial artists to be allowed to attend.

EDIT: He actually got interviewed about it for a podcast a few years ago. He talks about learning Kung Fu and the difference between it and Tia Chi as well as being in China with the RZA.

The section about Kung Fu starts at about 29 minutes in. The whole thing is worth listening to though as he’s an utterly fascinating guy with a life most of us can only dream of having.

That’s pretty awesome. The guy I’m talking about, he told me that, while he did do a lot of Shaolin Gongfu training while he was there, they also relegated him to a lot of the shit-work, like mopping and sweeping. I couldn’t escape the feeling that they might view gongfu tourism as a lucrative and exploitable resource, at the time.

Edit because of your edit: that sounds pretty awesome, I’ve got it bookmarked for tomorrow!

Josh learned it here in the US. When he visited China it was the first time the monk he learned under had been back as well since defecting to the United States.