millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Expanse thread - SPOILERS for series 3

Who?

(I have a vague fuzzy memory of some crap imitation!)

@Lorcan_Nagle, can you sort Ben out on Gobots?

No, I don’t need some bad comedy reminder, Toddscream.

Imagine a robot with a headlight for a head. That’s pretty much all you need to know about what a bad idea Gobots was.

I know. I got people to watch and they love.
I got my mom to watch it (huge win for me, but Thomas Jane helped at the start).

Just having something like that helps your name, brand recognition.
They may have a point about the money, but maybe this is a hardline re-negotiation.
It just has to survive, even if we wait a little longer between seasons.

Have just caught up on EP 5.

MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

How can you cancel this? The Earth v Earth stuff is on a B5 level, maybe a bit more believable as most of the actors are better.

I am not a merry man.
Watching the end of this season is going to be heart breaking :anguished:

Episode 6.

So, that’s Caliban’s War pretty much complete, though there’s one bit they really need to do that I was expecting this week and we didn’t get (though the trailer for series 3 had a shot of Avasarala addressing the system while still wearing the Razorback flight suit, so I figure we’ll get the very end of the book next week)

But yeah, as fitting the episode that finishes off a novel this show was like a long stream of catharsis. Prax getting Mei back was great, as was Amos’ look when Prax referred him to his best friend, and the final confrontation with Strickland was fantastic, I love how the sound dropped everything out as Prax had the gun on Strickland - it was such a great way to concentrate all atention on Prax’s mindset and his internal conflict, Terry Chan has been fantastic as Prax and he sold the cumulation of his arc perfectly.

In terms of things which changed from the novel it’s all as good as the source or improvements. Having the hybrid be Katoa was a great touch (I’m sure like me, other book readers saw that coming weeks ago), because it adds to the tragedy. Katoa isn’t a character in the books - His father Basia (who people may recall we saw last year, he’s the one who pointed the Roci crew towards the hacker who wanted to be paid in chicken) is an incedental character in book 2, and a POV one later on, so we only know Katoa from the perspecitve of he’s missing, or when they know he’s dead after the fact. Having him be killed by Bobbie is an addiional tragedy.

In the books, Holden is the one who boards the Agatha King, so changing it to Alex and Naomi gives them something to do, and adds a bit of referral back to the underlying political conflicts in the system. And Cotyar being the person to blow up the ship was another good use of characters established in the book but not really used. In the books, a random naval officer who Holden encounters in the ship is the one to overload the reactor.

I’m continuing to enjoy Anna’s show-exclusive story, the final moment between her and Sorrento-Gillis here was fantastic. Errinright still needed to be brought down, but Sorrento-Gillis is a fucking bobblehead. Looikng forward to her book 3 story kicking off in the next week or two.

And while I was expecting a different last line, “what the fuck is that?” was a good substitute. Next week, we’re apparently getting an extended sequence to introduce Melba, who’s one of my favourite characters in the books. I’m as excited for her introduction as I was for Bobbie last year.

A preview for next week’s episode is on YouTube, but unless you’ve read the books there’s a major inadvertent spoiler in there, which could well ruin one of the biggest WTF moments in series 3.

For book readers: “hey, we gotta talk” confirmed!

A large part of me wishes I’d never read the books just because of it.

Edit: I suppose it had its own impact but not the same as it will be for those watching.