millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Defenders - Spoilers Thread

Is it cool to start a new thread for this show?

I got back from a long weekend last night and excitedly fired up Netflix to see the first episode. Silly me, it isn’t released until Friday 18th August!

Anyway, when the time comes, here’s a spot to discuss with spoilers…

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion
Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

Yes we may as well as it is out very soon but a reminder on Netflix shows. As they dump it all out there at once people will all be at different stages of watching. So spoilers have to remain hidden in spoiler text.

There’s actually a countdown at the top of my netflix homepage right now.

I really want this to be good. Only made it halfway through Luke Cage, and three episodes of Iron Fist, so I’m not brimming with hope, but it would be really nice :-/

Mostly the same, although I liked Cage more, some of it was better than other parts.

And Jessica Jones is not my favourite character.

But the team-up could be great!

The Netflix-verse started out so very, very strong with the first season of Daredevil. It honestly felt like that could have been developed into their Sopranos had it not been restricted by the shared universe and planned team-up. Jessica Jones was good but failed to fully realise the great potential it had. Then the second season of Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist were all middling at best and Karen-Page-journalism at worst.

I hope that they can square off whatever they had in mind for Defenders and then move on to better things.

I still prefer the second season of Daredevil. I thought it was the most successful of them so far in having enough story to justify the running length.

Yeah splitting into basically Daredevil meets The Punisher and Daredevil meets Elektra reallly helped

My great hope is that this wasn’t made by any of the people involved in those shows, but by the Daredevil season 2 team.

I get those who liked season 1 of Daredevil better. But then, Drew Goddard is also producing on Defenders.

I saw the first episode today. It’s running in common with most of these Netflix/Marvel shows, the acting and direction are good. The dialogue is fine, it’s a bit run of the mill story-wise.

I watched Game of Thrones and was shocked and excited by the ending, as I often am with that programme. There’s a mild sense of interest here in the last 2 or 3 minutes. The Marvel/Netflix shows have some ‘must watch’ moments but not many. There’s nothing to slag off as poor but they need badly to work on the excitement factor.

My main thought so far is that it reminds me how much I like Jessica Jones (the character) and that I’m looking forward to S2 of her show.

I wonder if that’s a policy that comes from the binge model? You don’t have to wait a week for the next episode so they don’t think they have to get you that excited?

I think it’s a mistake anyway.

I’m saving this for tonight. I will watch three or four episodes with a pizza and a bottle of prosecco.

It’s a fair question. I think most Netflix shows I have found to be very high quality in terms of production but quickly got bored with them. I gave up on House of Cards.

I will reserve judgement on Stranger Things and The OA that were shorter runs and did embody for me more of that sense of excitement.

I watched the first episode before work and found it pretty boring. But not bad, per se, and since I loved Daredevil and Luke Cage, think Jessica Jones has great potential, and, y’know, this one’s got Sigourney Weaver, I’ll stick with it.

I’ve watched the first three episodes so far. It starts a little slow, but it’s cool to see the characters coming together. And when they do all meet in the third episode it’s pretty awesome. That one boardroom fight with Iron Fist is better than any of the fights in his actual series.