millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The DC Comics Thread

I’ve downloaded them all. Can’t complain with free.

3 Likes

Me too. Thanks for the heads-up Chris!

1 Like

You are welcome !

1 Like

Interesting take on Superman.

2 Likes

I think (at least in the US) our perception and how we portray Superman in any given generation has a lot to do with our perception of ourselves though sometimes in a bit of a delayed manner. Superman is incredibly sure of himself and that he is doing the right thing in the late 30’s through at least the 60’s. When we start to doubt ourselves, he starts to doubt himself and he becomes a more difficult character.

1 Like

But wasn’t that true of nearly every single comic book hero? I don’t think it has to do with how we view ourselves but a maturation of the reading audience. As children a simple world/character view was fine but as the readers gained in age and could understand more complex concepts a more nuanced approach was needed.

1 Like

I just think Superman is a relic of a time when there weren’t many entertainment options and hasn’t proved as malleable as other properties. He’s more Mickey Mouse, Lone Ranger, and Popeye than Batman, Sherlock Holmes, and James Bond.

1 Like

Woah, woah, woah!

Mickey Mouse is malleable.
He’s malleable as hell.

2 Likes

You take that back :frowning: Superman is not a relic…Insert appropriate Neck breaking pun here

So there!

4 Likes

That wasn’t Superman. Not really, anyway.

4 Likes

Y’know what?

I totally forgive Kal-El for snapping Zod’s nasty neck!

Might not ever kill before or after, but that boy? He’s goin’ down! Attack my mother, destroy my city, kill my father (unlike the one I wandered away from during an EF-5), threaten my planet and in general being a dick with ears. And a soul patch. Look what you did to Union Station, you pud-knocker!

I hereby issue amnesty. For saving the planet and endless nerdish lives since 1939, I hereby award Kal-El one Kryptonian rectum of his choice to dispose of as he sees fit.

However, he might want to re-think that leaving-Jonathan-in-a-tornado thing. That’s a bit on the cold side.

1 Like

Now let’s not forget that he left his dad in that tornado to honour his wish of nobody discovering his powers until he was ready.
He followed up this touching moment by … leaving home and using his powers to save anybody he found.

Jonathan Kent must be rolling in his grave.

2 Likes

Ah, fan amnesia.

Superman: Killing people with a smile, even getting Lois in on the act.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I buy that. They were just having a delightful discussion where Clark tells Jonathan “You’re just some guy who found me in a field”. By all rights, Clark was having a snit fit. It would piss Jonathan off to be saved from the tornado. Therefore, Clark would absolutely save him from the tornado. Probably in a showy manner. Save the dog, too! Maybe dance around in the air a bit and flip the tornado the bird. Cause a real scene. Probably piss off Batman, too.

1 Like

Oh come on, those guys didn’t die. They just want through the artificial smoke and found themselves on stage during the filming of a 1983 episode of Top of the Pops.

3 Likes

That’s not my Superm–

No, wait. Dammit :anguished:

3 Likes

This new Lois and Clark series actually sounds more interesting to me now. I originally thought it was basically an elseworlds, but having the original Superman and the New 52 version existing on the same earth, could lead to some good stories.

2 Likes

Well they managed to have their cake and eat it so there’s that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Omega Men is apparently uncanceled.

5 Likes

It’s getting 12 issues minimum. That’s great. People need to buy it now.

Nice job by DC editorial listening to their readers.

4 Likes