Well, why not.

I’ve got:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  3. Man of Steel
  4. Avengers
  5. Kingsman

Not too bad. Pretty nice mix of movies.

I’d probably put Cap 2 and Avengers up there, as well as DoFP (which I really liked, but I’m not sure stands alone quite as well as those other two - my enjoyment of it is partly due to my affection for the series as a whole).

Chronicle probably deserves a mention too, for trying to do something a bit different (if not always wholly successfully).

Kingsman is not a superhero movie! Chronicle isn’t quite one, either, to my mind, though it’s closer - it’s a movie about super-powers, sure, but superhero… it’s more in Akira territory, I’d say.

I’d say:

1. Avengers
  2. Guardians
  3. Cap 2
  4. X-Men DoFP
  5. Man of Steel

Is Kingsman really superhero? I don’t know if “action hero doing impossible stunts” is enough to make a movie superhero, or else the Bond films would be (at least the Connery/Moore/Brosnan ones it was riffing on), plus things like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, True Lies, etc.

My list would be:

Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Cap 2
X-Men: DOFP
Amazing Spider-Man 2 (watched it again recently, it’s still an awesome mess)

Why isn’t Kingsman superhero? It’s based on a comic, it’s about a kid who develops powers that he must keep secret as he fights a colorful villain and saves the world.

That’s not enough elements, imo. Or else, like, Goonies would be horror because of Sloth. And he doesn’t have powers, just impossible-feat-doing-skills like John McClane or Bond.

People made similar arguments about GotG not being a superhero movie when it came out - I still think it counts (and is definitely up there with the best of this decade) but I can see their point.

He’s told he, and the dad he never knew, was special—right from the start. He meets a mentor who bestows gifts on him, tells him about his father, and teaches him powers he could never have known. And then when the mentor dies he saves the world.

Huh, now that I think of it, if Mark Hamill were somehow involved I might even say that sounds more like Star Wars.

That’s still not enough elements for me. That’s just hero’s journey stuff, which lots of genres use. I don’t think of The Black Cauldron books as superhero stories.

1. Marvel’s The Avengers
  2. Iron Man
  3. X-Men: First Class
  4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  6. Kick-Ass
  7. Iron Man II / Iron Man III (best if considered one film)
  8. The Wolverine
  9. Thor: The Dark World
  10. Thor
  11. Whatever I forgot.

I have the feeling some are earlier than 2010.

Avengers, X-men DoFP, Thor and The Wolverine are all great. Cap 2 was pretty good as well. Guardians slightly less so, still pretty good though.

Guardians. Avengers. Man of Steel. Dark Knight Rises. Winter Soldier.

I want to mention Thor - it’s really great, such a wonderful introduction to that universe, really an awesome job by Marvel. Can’t find much wrong with it, but the top five are really exceptional.

I don’t think, since Spider-Man, that there has been a really awful cape or comix movie. Some are not liked as well as others, some are mostly scorned. I declare the worst to be Man-Thing - in comparison Corman’s Fantastic Four was The Dark Knight.

We can’t forget how television worked out a lot of the kinks. Smallville, especially, got weekly advice from many on how to improve. That’s a much bigger reaction than to Lois & Clark or the Adventures of Superboy which were a bit earlier yet. So were shows like Max Headroom or Shipp’s The Flash, which tended to exist in a vacuum.

Now we have a lovely full treasure chest of Marvel Phase One and DC doing whatever, with a few grand gems from others or independents (which is where Kick-Ass. KA2. Wanted and Kingsman come in).

Look at the calendar of upcoming films. It’s gonna be Christmas about eight times a year!

I dunno, you’ve got stuff like Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider 2, Green Lantern, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 in there.

Mark Hamill was the professor they saved in the beginning.

Dark Knight Rises
Guardians of the Galaxy
Man of Steel
Avengers
Iron Mann III

1. Avengers
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Cap: Winter Soldier
  4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  5. X-Men: First Class

Yes they are all Marvel based films and I’m lacking a controversial entry to add spice to the conversation but those are the ones I’ve wanted to go back and see again the most.

Man of Steel could have made it if the second half of it was as good as the first.

I was just making a joke about the whole thing.

My list contains at least one movie nobody has mentioned I think, and it’s not to be controversial, I really mean it:

1. Avengers
  2. Captain America
  3. Cap 2
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Thor

Defining traits of duperheroes are, to me:

• colorful costumes
  • super-human powers
    -using those powers for good

You can make an argument fornall kinds of movies sharing superhero traits in spite of any of those aspects being absent, but a clear case is - to me - made by the combination of those.
According to Roberts logic, Hary Potter is a superhero movie.