millarworld.tv Comics Creators

That Sherlock finale was SPECTACULAR!!!

And I say this as someone who feel the series went off the boil after series 2.

The opening had me worried, that cliched dream sequence, but when it turned out to be an elaborate ruse with two junkies hired by Sherlock to flush out Mycroft’s secret I knew we were in for a good time. The escalation in the ep was superb. The drone scene was pure Billy Wilder’s Holmes with the two brothers one-upping each other and yet somehow at the same time saying how much they felt for one another.

But EURUS!!

The island was great, but Eurus was an amazing and quite logical addition. It just worked. The sleight of hand last week with Hiddleston having been trailed to the press was genius. The moment with their hands clasping over the non-glass wall had me shriek around at my wife at how amazing this was.

This maybe tops Belgravia as the best ever for me.

I thought last week’s was very good too, the show feeling very much back on form after Watson’s wife being written out. She’s a good actress but miscast as a super-spy and I never, ever bought the character. I also think the actors were becoming a little too big for their roles over seasons 3 and the special. The first episode of this season was all over the place and I suspect the backlash to the finale is the punishment reviewers wanted to give for earlier crimes, much like Star Trek Beyond punished for Into Darkness.

But this finale was a corker. If they end this show here it’s gone out on a high. Well done to Moffat and Gatiss, both of whom I wrote fan email this morning!

MM

4 Likes

People retracting some opinions in; 3, 2…

2 Likes

I can see why people didn’t like it.

I think a lot of people watch the show for the mystery crime solving and deductions and we didn’t really get that here - we got Sherlock vs Hannibal Lecter.

4 Likes

Like everything, it’s mostly a matter of taste, expectation and how much preposterousness you’re prepared to accept. The first is personal, the second depends on which ‘flavour’ of Holmes you grew up with, and the third sorts out who really wants to love this version. Personally, I found the level of preposterousness simply overcame the desire to love the show.

For instance, showing us images of the girl on the plane instead of just the audio: just WTF? The no glass situation: anyone with half decent hearing would automatically notice the lack of pertinent echo (you can test this for yourself). Being blown out of a first storey window without injury: really? The whole rewriting and then unediting memory thing: iffy. Explaining why Eurus went wrong: doubly iffy. The crass disrespect for Molly’s character: misogynistic. Mycroft allowing five minutes unmonitored with Moriarty: beyond absurd. Standing exactly where tranq darts would hit: face palm. The opening: an obvious Gatiss vanity horror pastiche. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. All these things take us out of the story; a #1 crime for a writer.

It feels to me as if there are some cracking ideas here, like we all think we have by 9.30 at the pub. But just because Moffat and Gatiss are seasoned, clever, proven creatives doesn’t mean they should hand over unedited their annoted beer mats to a director. Sorry. but I think it’s time for them to move on and find something else to help them return to previous levels of glory (TLoG would be a pinnacle for anyone).

P.S. I watched eps 2 and 3 back-to-back; it felt like I watched two completely different shows.

P.P.S. I’m a fan of The Mentalist (with Jane as Holmes and Red John as Moriarty), which perhaps explains why my expectations were set too high.

3 Likes

Spectacular? You meant spectacular bollocks, yes? Then yes, yes it was.

2 Likes

The series lost it when it stopped being about solving crimes and instead became about Sherlock.

The finale, and I say this as someone who did enjoy it, was that mistake cubed.

3 Likes

I don’t mind it being about Sherlock if it’s telling a good story that makes sense on its own terms.

For me though, this episode just didn’t hold together, when you actually stop and consider what would have to have happened for the story we see to actually take place.

To be clear, I think it’s fine for mysteries to revolve around things that are unlikely - they would be mundane if they didn’t. But when they start to truly stretch credulity and become so implausible as to be fantastical, I think a show like this no longer works.

For a series that purports to be rooted in logic and deduction to end up revolving around people with abilities so unrealistically advanced as to be supernatural is a sign that the show has lost its way, I think.

It’s a shame as the show has a great cast and very inventive writers, and they’ve created what I think is in many ways a great modern version of Sherlock Holmes.

3 Likes

I think that was my exact point, no? :wink:

Eloquently put though, Mr Wallace.

2 Likes

I agree with Vikram.

2 Likes

The emotional intensity was incredible, something you can only get after a long familiarity with the characters and delivered superbly by the cast. You couldn’t have got that level of intensity from a “regular” mystery, it had to be about the charaters to deliver what it did.

Having said that, I prefer a “regular” mystery, which is why episode 2 worked best of the three from me.

And I prefer a plot which, even if convoluted, actually makes sense. The finale’s plot was just boggling, constantly beating the best efforts of my suspension of disbelief.

So this is pretty much how the finale happened for me: Every time there was a Holmes/Watson/Holmes dialogue (or…er…what’s “dialogue” for three people?) I was completely immersed, on the edge of my seat with the tension. Then as soon as a “plot” element happened, I was completely taken out of it, and looking for something heavy to throw at the scene.

So… er… I think I liked it. But not entirely.

Or, 50% spectacular, 50% bollocks, and I’m not sure which won.

2 Likes

Spectacular bollocks?

2 Likes

Trialogue? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well, it was certainly try-ing!

2 Likes

It was fun, very indulgent and one too many rooms in the Crystal maze, but by the time we got the end it was clear that Moffat was writing a send off for this version of the characters and their world and I’m fine with that.

The first three (well, two of them) are still my favourites, but there was a lot of good things in the others (well, some of them).

And Gatiss was a great Mycroft, I still think Charles Grey is my favourite (and Robert Morley should always be remembered), but Gatiss had some wonderful moments that episode.

Class :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just watched it after recording it last Sunday.

Personally, I wanted to see more deduction and crimes, like in the first two finales, and a bit less Saw-reminiscience.

The last minute or so was quite generic, but I guess it had to happen to convince Sherlock and Watson to carry on.

I’m overjoyed that they had some Moriarty in it, although a bit more explanation to properly finish to the “Did You Miss Me?” mystery/story arc would have been nice. The finale, in my opinion, lacked denounement and resolution, to the current season and season three also.

The dialogue, especially Eurus’s, was absoutely fantasic.

My personal ratings for the seasons:

1. 98% - The plots were strong and built up to a clear conclusion - Moriarty. However, the writing was still finding its place during the first episode, and slightly during the second.

2. 100% - Sherlock as it’s best, in my opinion. It found its ground, and the stories were fresh.

3. 95% - The stories were still fantastic, but there was not much of a clear goal. The first episode just showed how Sherlock goes back to Watson. The second one basically just shows Watson’s wedding, although the third one covered more ground.

Christmas special - I actually really liked this, although the ending ruined the enjoyment as it turned out to have covered little ground at all.

4. 97% - The first episode started very strong, but ended very awkwardly. The second episode was full of twists and reveals that really was exhilarating. The finale, as I said, lacked an overall conclusion, but was still fantastic.

The whole thing about the near supernatural abilities of the Holmes family does not really fly. They established early on about Eurus fascination with how things work. add that to neuro linguistic programming which i liked being used on Leverage and her achievements were believable. The scene I disliked the most was why none of them moved before the grenade activated