millarworld.tv Comics Creators

That first hit, the book that got you hooked

We had a thread like this on the old boards, for those issues that you picked up in your formative years. The books that mattered and went on to help form your tastes today.

No surprises about mine. Found this in a bunch of Commando comics an older cousin gave to me when I was about 10 or so. The Cam Kennedy artwork is forever burned in my brain - literally (sort of). Am image of someone falling victim to a phosphorus grenade sticks with me to this day. The issue is long gone now but I was delighted when I came across it when it was finally reprinted in the Complete Case Files.

When I was 11, My city’s main Newspaper had a deal with Marvel where they would put reprinted editions of Lee/Ditko Spiderman issues in with the paper. The first one I read was the reprint of ASM #2:

I never get tired of posting this:

This was the first American comic I bought:

For a long time I thought this may have been my first:

But the Internet tells me it’s from 1973, and I must have been reading a couple of years before that. It’s hard to sort out the memories from that age.

This was the first superman issue of that incarnation, and it pretty much came out when I was at the right age (5? 6? 7? Something like that…).

I threw all my comic books away when I turned 14 or so, so there’s a second first hit, for me. Or a series of hits, really - I had a friend when I was nineteen or so who had all the good stuff, and who lent me some issues of Akira, Watchmen, V for Vendetta… and I was re-hooked.

Uncanny X-Men #275 - I picked it up off a newstand at a college bookstore on a Math Team trip in high school and was hooked on the Chris Claremont/Jim Lee magic. If that’s not the nerdiest sentence you’ve ever read… :wink:

When we’ve discussed this before I’ve had to say I don’t have one. My mother is a writer and not a snobby one that ever looked down on comics (she’s a big Sandman and Hellblazer fan, despite being 80 later this year) and thought them a great introduction to literacy.

So I always had one or more delivered from the newsagents since I was 3 starting with a pre-school title called Magic. That moved to Tiger and Eagle and then Marvel UK reprints to the likes of Daredevils with Moore and Miller and Crisis with Ennis and Millar working as teenagers, there was no going back from there.

I’ve never not read comics and doubt I ever will.

This was the official US comics jumping-on point for me, from weekly UK Transformers comics (was reading that since #1). I think I bought Marvel Age a month before with the Art Adams mutants cover, but soon discovered Marvel Age was essentially the Previews of its day…

Got to say, the movie version does lack some of comic-Clint Barton’s pizazz.

I have really good memories of my t-shirts with the Hulk iron on transfer from issue one, Spider-man and the Thing (from issues two and three). Nine year old me wouldn’t wear anything else for months.

I think what really changed me was reading The Death of Jean DeWolfe in Spider-man and Zoids weekly. The opening pages, as a kid, just threw me.

That being said, I did stop reading comics for a bit and it was the Kraven Saga that pulled me back in.

So in summary, death in Spider-man books made me the man I am.

or

On a family vacation to San Diego. Not first comic, but first Marvel comic; which made me think that “Spider-Man” was going to be a ridiculous character. Ah, I was in the wee single digits meself. Back then. Way back then. Way, 'way 'way back then. :crying_cat_face:

That’s a beautiful, beautiful story. Do you think starting with Wayback issues affected your taste in comics? I know Mark started with a lot of used US issues and (Panini?) reprints, so he got an “education deeper in history” than most, and so did I. You think that’s a factor with you, what with your history and language studies and all?

I was certainly reading stuff before it and was certainly on Transformers before it was done, but it was Target 2006 that likely hooked me on serial stories!

Or maybe it was images like this:

I read that one too at the time. I thought that it was pretty strong stuff, but obviously loved it. I bought a tpb of the story a couple of years ago and was surprised to see that large chunks of the story weren’t included in what was published in Spider-Man and Zoids.

I was thinking long and hard about this. The first comic I bought with my own money was Captain America issue 223, bought in a jumble sale in a damp field a 100 yards from my house when I was 8 years old . It was the early 80’s.

The slightly torn cover completely blew my mind back then. I haven’t looked at it in years (although I still have it) and it still does. On that day, I knew 2 things with a righteous conviction - 1) Superheroes were real and 2) they lived in America.

I got the second one a couple of years later. It joined my then fledgling comic collection (back in the days when it fitted in one drawer). It was the Marvel UK edition. It was full of characters that I didn’t know. I didn’t understand why the Hulk could talk or who the rock guy was. I was hooked.

The first American-style comics I read would have been in reprints in the various Marvel UK magazines that were around in the late 70s/early 80s. I have vague memories of stories involving the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, but it wasn’t til I was a bit older that I started to really get into it all.

The key issues for me were:

Transformers (UK) 24

This was the beginning of me reading comics on a regular basis, aged 9, and there’s a whole story about this issue and how it got me into comics, Transformers AND is tied into how I ended up being a doctor, which involves me, my then critically ill sister, and Josie Beller.

Transformers was rapidly joined by the UK version of Secret Wars, with this issue first, but a lucky break meant I got all the back issues at pretty much the same time:

That’s when I first properly met the X-Men, and they rapidly became my favourite superhero group.

The next few years were mainly Marvel UK titles - Transformers, Secret Wars, Thundercats, Secret Wars II. Secret Wars II in particular was like crack - it widened out the Marvel Universe for me hugely, with all of the crossover stories being reprinted. The back-up strips in those comics were great as well though - Alpha Flight, Power Pack, Machine Man … Rocket Raccoon!

In 1987, we moved to a different town, near a much bigger city, and I made new friends. One of my new friends had a big brother who was in his mid-teens - and who was very much into comics. He had a massive drawer under his bed, and it was absolutely stuffed FULL of proper American Marvel comics. I binged on it like a starving man shown cake - I’d cycle home from their house with a backpack stuffed full of back issues of everything and anything from the Marvel Universe, devour them, then be back the next day for more. That’s when I first read the bulk of the Chris Claremont X-Men and New Mutants stuff for the first time. A wee bit after that Alex introduced me to my first proper comic shop - Plan 9 in Aberdeen - and that was me completely hooked.

The first American issues I bought for myself, rather than nicking Alex’s stuff, were these:

A few wee hiatuses here and there, but comics - and especially the X-Men - have been pretty much a constant ever since.

I think the first one that got me to spend my own money on comics was this one…I read it at a friend’s house and thought it was a cool take on the character.
enter link description here

But as I’ve said numerous times in the old forum, it was this book that got me hooked. It came in one of those 3 comic packs that I used to beg my mother for when we went to this one local department store. I had no idea who these guys were (I’m pretty sure it was the middle comic in the bag) but I just loved the interactions and that amazing Byrne art.
enter link description here

Still getting the hang of this.