millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Reading that list really highlights how many prime time American shows don’t make it over the pond. I hadn’t even heard of half of them.

The AV Club gives Hulu’s adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale a glowing review

They’re already making plans for a second season.

There was a good interview with Atwood about the book and the series a while ago. She found the scene she has a cameo in to be horribly upsetting.

I’m looking forward to the show, but I don’t know if I’d want to sound any more time with that world than I have to…

I read the book my final semester in college. Rather unsettling.

It’s one of my wife’s favorite books but she hates the unresolved ending so a second season might actually be a positive for her.

It’s one of my daughter’s favorite books, too; I read it a few years ago based on her recommendation while she was a high school student.

While I have read some other stuff by Margaret Atwood, I wasn’t really aware of The Handmaid’s Tale. I found the trailer for this series really properly disturbing.

I’m guessing that I should add this to my to-read pile.

By the way, in England, Doctor Who’s back 19:20. It’s going to be Peter Capaldi’s last season, and I so hope it isn’t awful like the Christmas special, and the general lack of good story arcs recently.

By the way, that show since 2005 has been made by BBC Wales. :wink:

(Sorry, the UK)

Steven Moffat has written the pilot episode of Season 10 of Doctor Who (showing later today). He’s written some of the best stories in Doctor Who and practically all of Sherlock (with Mark Gatiss), but also wrote the 2016 Christmas Special, Return of Doctor Mysterio, and I don’t know if that can be forgiven…

Feel free to share the love/vent your spleen over on our Doctor Who thread.

I’ve not read the book myself either, but the movie adaptation was a standard of channel 4’s SF weekends when I were a lad and as such I have strong memories of it

It’s a great novel, one of my favorites. One of the aspects of the book that I loved is how Atwood found lots of subtle ways to show how pathetic and socially/romantically awkward the patriarchal leaders of her dystopia are. I hope the TV show keeps that.

I just got around to reading this article. Thanks for posting it.

I’ve read this one in class as an example for a dystopian novel. Very good book. More recently, I’ve been using Oryx and Crake, also by Atwood, because its topics are closer to other issues on the curriculum, but a TV series is a good impetus to bring back the Handmaid’s Tale. So maybe with the next course.

SERIES GREENLIGHTS

• Corporate – From Pat Bishop, Matt Ingebretson, and Jake Weisman comes a dark, edgy look at life as a Junior-Executive-in-Training at your average, soulless multi-national corporation. Matt and Jake (Ingebretson and Weisman) are at the mercy of a tyrannical CEO Christian DeVille (Lance Reddick) and his top lieutenants, sycophants John and Kate (Adam Lustick and Anne Dudek). As Matt and Jake navigate an ever-revolving series of disasters their only ally is Hampton Deville Human Resources rep Grace (Aparna Nancherla). Executive produced by Ingebretson, Weisman, Bishop, who will also direct and Jake Fogelnest.

• Taskmaster – Produced by Avalon Television, Taskmaster is based on the BAFTA and Royal Television Society award-nominated, internationally popular UK format. Reggie Watts will star as the Taskmaster who, with series creator Alex Horne as his loyal assistant, will judge five unwitting comedians as they compete against each other with creativity, cunning and genius in a series of stupefying tasks. Executive produced by Watts, Horne, Richard Allen-Turner, Rob Aslett, David Martin, James Taylor, Jon Thoday, Kara Baker and Andy Devonshire, who will also direct.

• The New Negroes – Described by The New York Times as a show that “wants to do more than simply provoke laughter…Baron Vaughn and Open Mike Eagle want to challenge ideas about what constitutes black entertainment and expand the discussion about black life in America,” The New Negroes is a socially aware stand-up and musical series showcasing a collection of new and established comedians. Created, executive produced and co-hosted by Baron Vaughn, executive produced and co-hosted by Open Mike Eagle and executive produced by Betsy Koch, Funny Or Die, and Lance Bangs, who will direct.

The UK version of Taskmaster is great, and I’m glad Alex Horne is still involved. Reggie Watts has a very different style to Greg Davies; I don’t know how that will work for the show.

Aparna Nancherla starring in a series is good too; she’s great.