millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

That would be awesome. The Nirvana and Alice In Chains Unplugged albums are both amazing.

Hard to believe Nevermind is over 25 years old.

Over. 25. Years. Old.

Was that the one they did the cover of “Man Who Sold the World”?

Yeah same performance.

Two of my faovurite Unpluggeds right there. Add in REM, Pearl Jam and Dennis Leary for the top 5 :smiley:

Also enjoyed the Clapton one, although I was on shitloads of Vicodin at the time and it seemed a peppy little set!

There’s a few good ones hovering near the top 5 - Stone Temple Pilots, Clapton and Stone Asylum all spring to mind quickly.

I actually saw Clapton live about 10 years ago, was a really good set.

EC just cancelled some L.A. shows, and just saw him on TMZ at LAX being wheelchaired. He’s got the bad bronchitis! Pale as can be! From that in-depth analysis I hope he’s better soon. It was his birthday yesterday.

It’s a great version of the song, and a very cool choice for this especially given the song’s history. Which I never knew, in spite of always having been aware of the song itself, and always loving it
when I heard a variation of it.

“In the Pines”, also known as “Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” and “Black Girl”, is a traditional American folk song which dates back to at least the 1870s,[citation needed] and is believed to be Southern Appalachian in origin.[citation needed] The identity of the song’s author is unknown, but it has been recorded by many artists in numerous genres. Traditionally, it is most often associated with the American folk and blues musician Lead Belly, who recorded several versions in the 1940s, as well as the American bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, who helped popularize the song (in a different variant, featuring lyrics about a train) among bluegrass and country audiences with his versions recorded in the 1940s and 1950s.

So, it goes back into the nineteenth century. And I think that it has such a rich history of being performed again and again is because, aside from the melody being memorable and beautiful, the lyrics are so haunting. It’s one of the cases in which a mystery endures better than any explanation of it ever could (Gaiman was spot on when he wrote that one). Those four lines of lyrics open up a deep abyss of death and loneliness and sadness, and one that coupled with that melody will stay with you and haunt you.

It needs to stay dead.

You still have X-Factor in America, right? I’m not sure why you would need American Idol as well, the formats aren’t that different, are they? Or is this just a case of a different network trying to compete with X-Factor for viewers?

X-Factor was canned after three seasons due to low ratings. It ran from 2011 - 2013. It was one the same network (Fox) as American Idol though at a different time of the year.

Since AI first premiered, networks and cable channels have tried to launch musical talent shows but they all failed except for The Voice. The Voice but that has never been the ratings of cultural juggernaut the way American Idol was.

I think the musical talent show, especially American Idol, is probably something that should be given a rest for a few years to give everyone a chance to miss them before trying again.

It was replaced with All-New X-Factor in 2014, but Peter David is still writing it and Polaris and Quicksilver are still on the team.

I haven’t watched yet, but the first episode of Hank Azaria’s Brockmire is online:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/comedy-central-launches-weekly-trump-aimed-night-show-140606782.html

He’s still not paid the tax on that. Go fund me (or not as the case may be).

I had a friend who did this in college. She made really good money at it too.

pleasegetcancelledpleasegetcancelledpleasegetcancelled