millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

But…back on topic -

Castle Rock is probably going to be all the things Stranger Things wishes it was.

It’s funny, I was a huge View Askew fan back in the day. I saw all of Smiths films in the theater. Mallrats I saw at just the right time so it really spoke to me. I went back and tried to watch it recently and found it unwatchable. His films seem to be of a specific time and haven’t aged well.

Chasing Amy I never liked though. It’s very much a fanboy take on lesbian and the idea that a lesbian would decide she’s straight/bi for the right man is pretty offensive. (I know he tries to handwave it away later in the film but even then the reasoning is weak and flimsy.)

It wasn’t the 90s it was a specific kind of raunchy comedy and that attitude continued well into the aughts. Look at Old School, both the villains are dicks but that’s it and yet the film ends with them dying in a car crash.

I think there is a generation of film makers who decided to try their hand at the craft because Kevin Smith, Robert Rodriguez, Richard Linklater and a few other taught them they could do it without an enormous amount of money. I will always have a soft spot for him for that.

I thought she was pretty clearly a classic case of bisexuality. Her speech about limiting herself to half the population made that pretty clear, I thought. It was Holden that assumed she was first straight and then just a lesbian. I thought the film was about navigating those waters and all the misunderstandings that come with it as a straight man. Also, all the anti-lesbian/gay rhetoric comes from Banky (who we are not meant to identify with) and is directly challenged as being the wrong viewpoint. I thought it was the most personal of Smith’s films and one that he really put a lot of himself into while still having all the hallmark crass humor he’s known for.

No, she identifies as a lesbian at the beginning (and ends up with a woman at the end). It’s only much later in the film that suddenly she was ‘looking for love in all its forms’.

I assumed she was mostly bisexual but which side of that she identified with that was fluid. One of the central problems of the film was that she had been with a number of men and Holden found that troubling while not having a problem with the number of women she had been with.

One of the things I like about Smith’s films is how he questions male insecurities especially in relationship wrapped in the guise of dick and fart jokes. We get a similar situation in Clerks with Dante.

37 is the joke that never gets old.

But yeah I agree with @RonnieM, in that it is made clear that she is bisexual, but it’s Holden’s perceptions of her as lesbian or straight that cloud the movie and reach into his insecurities.

Personally, I will always have a soft spot for Smith for this scene:

I didn’t realise the show would be back soon; there’s been two-year breaks between the previous seasons. I won’t complain.

I still haven’t seen the previous season!

It’s a very professional series, but also very heightened; I get the sense that everyone is performing, rather than living, their roles.

But it’s good TV drama, if you don’t mind the familiarity.

Yes…

You have been.

Wubba lubba lub dub!

As previously announced, the series, which hails from Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros TV where the company is under a deal, is based on short stories by King. It is named after Castle Rock, the fictional town in King’s native Maine that is featured prominently in a number of his novels, novellas, and short stories, including Cujo, The Dark Half, IT and Needful Things, novella The Body and short stories Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption.

Manhattan creator Sam Shaw & Dustin Thomason developed the project for television based on characters and situations created by Stephen King and serve as writers. They executive produce along with Abrams, Ben Stephenson and Liz Glotzer.

Per the producers: A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. Castle Rock is an original suspense/thriller — a reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon, while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories. A teaser for the project, released by Bad Robot on Friday, has garnered more than 1 million views.

Ok… plus some vampires, werewolves, aliens, extra-dimensional creatures and a car that can take care of itself?

I hope?

They sound expensive!

These two statements are contradictory.
Is it a psychological horror? Or is it a saga?

And how “original” is it?
Because you can create a world like Fargo’s tv show where everything is on a timeline - and get a really fantastic Castle Rock show.

I mean, a whole season about Needful Things would be amazing.

I think this surprised a few people. It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

They’re not gonna do that.

I can see them running Needful Things, Salems Lot and maybe Cujo one season, and then Tommyknockers and Christine the next - but they won’t do one book a season.

I think they’ll pick one concept as an over arching plot - say Tommyknockers or Salems Lot and then use those to spin off other tales.

I don’t see how those are mutually exclusive.

Salem’s Lot didn’t take place in the town of Castle Rock, Tim. It took place in the town of…get ready…Salem’s Lot.