millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

AT&T Is Dragging HBO’s Streaming Strategy Out of the Dark Ages
Love this bit:

In 2006, HBO began beta-testing HBO on Broadband, a service that let people watch its programming on their computer, with Time Warner Cable subscribers in Green Bay, Wis. Initial feedback was encouraging. At the time, Gabriel was keeping an eye on an emerging competitor. In February 2007, Netflix Inc., a data-minded company in California best-known for lending DVDs by mail, launched a service streaming movies and TV over the internet.

An idea spread through HBO: What if Time Warner bought Netflix? It would be the perfect marriage of art and science and give Time Warner enormous leverage over the downstream markets for TV shows and movies. The concept made its way up the chain of command, where it was duly slain. HBO and Time Warner executives thought the roughly $1 billion to $1.5 billion it might cost would be better spent on programming. “There was a belief that Netflix was going to implode,” Gabriel says, “either due to the escalating costs with their model or due to content no longer being licensed to them.”

By 2018, Netflix was generating $1.2 billion of annual net profit on $15.8 billion of revenue. Its current market value is $154 billion.

The British public broadcaster is developing the format, which will see celebrities invited to take a “sideways swipe” at the big issues facing Britain today. Topical given what’s been going on with Brexit this week.

Deadline understands that it is piloting the project with a recording set to take place next week at the Hospital Club in London. The BBC has said that the show is the “first of its kind on TV” and that it will bring together cutting-edge technology with top celebrities.

However, rather than chat with an A-list host, the guests will jostle with “one of the most famous leaders in the world”.

Sounds awful. They try this every few years, and it never works.

Agreed. I’m pretty sure this isn’t true

as ITV did this a few years back with The Nightly Show (I think it was called) where they had a different host every week.

Was that the one kicked off by Chris Evans (no not that one)? Yeah, that was terrible.

No, it was Walliams, Davina McCall, Dermot O’Leary, John Bishop etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightly_Show_(UK_TV_series)

Ah, I must be thinking of something else then.

Seems like it’s this (much longer ago than I thought):

I agree, it isn’t the place for that sort of thing over here and people keep trying. There’s just not enough decent guests or audience for it and the writers are never good enough for the daily turnover.

The one @MartinSmith was talking about was also terrible, so you’re still correct.

I nearly suggested you might be thinking of that, but as you say, it was yonks ago so thought it must have been something else. Weird to think that was closer to the existence of TFI Friday than it is the present day.

I was convinced it was more recent, this decade for sure. This is what happens when you get old I guess.

I love that Waititi is becoming an influential TV producer as well as a big budget director. He’s going to generate tons and tons of great content over the next decade.

I also like the idea of Time Bandits as a series. Should be fun, and I hope Gilliam gets a good payday out of it.

Larry DiTillio’s passed away.

DiTillio was the co-head writer of Beast Wars: Transformers, as well as the first story editor on Babylon 5 and writer for He-Man, She-Ra, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Real Ghostbusters and more.

Why does she never think about turning to God?

Because God isnt real.

Then why’d they waste two episodes on the whole Baptism thing?

Ratings stunt?

I hope this is on Amazon UK too.

Hopefully it’ll find a good audience, it deserves it. Well before it’s time.