millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

That trailer doesn’t work for me, but I like a lot of Gervais’ TV stuff, so I’ll probably at least have a go at it.

Some people were sent previews in the last week and it got praised a fair bit by people I respect on Twitter (Kermode was one who won’t be swayed by a free preview to give good words).

I know a lot of people hate Gervais but I’ve liked pretty much all his TV stuff and Derek was really moving in places. I think the juxtaposition of the rude toilet humour with the saccharine Spielberg type life messages works for me.

The whole “I’m invulnerable because I can always escape through suicide” idea is pretty morbid, but also pretty funny.

Yeah, it’s not a bad concept for a sitcom. Lots of potential for funniness in that.

Another tidbit tucked into the December filing: Syfy feels so strongly about Wynonna Earp that, last year, the cable network actually ordered two additional 12-episode seasons of the show from IDW Entertainment, which is contractually bound to deliver those seasons. Sources with knowledge of the situation say that the network is as much a fan of Wynonna Earp as ever. Asked for comment, a representative for Syfy issued this statement: “Syfy ordered Season 4 of Wynonna Earp from IDW and is completely committed to the series. This has not changed.”

It’s not as if IDW hasn’t had time to prepare, since Wynonna Earp’s renewal was announced last July at San Diego Comic-Con. However, there has been executive turnover: The presidents of both IDW Entertainment and IDW Publishing left their positions last year. That December filing also makes it clear that IDW has been “self-financing production costs for seasons four and five” and that Syfy’s license fee for the right to air the show in the U.S. “only covers approximately half of IDWE’s costs.” (The show is licensed to Space in Canada and to other media companies around the world; there’s also a Netflix deal in place for seasons that have already aired.)

Asked about the production delay and the company’s ability to deliver two additional seasons of Wynnona Earp , an IDW representative issued the following statement: “IDW is committed to continuing to tell the Wynonna Earp story. Much like the fans, we are passionate about not only the series, but the comics, the characters and the overall message that the Wynonna Earp franchise carries. We are in the process of working out the details for how the Wynonna story will continue and will share new details very soon.”

I would be kind of funny if the Locke and Key series fell apart again because of this.

I’m glad to see they brought back the best character.

Poe?

Hell yeah.

I’m generally against fan service. On top of that, I’m against bringing back a character who’s exit made a dramatic point and which was handled well; it can undermine what happened before and is often a square peg in a round bole.

But Poe was a highlight in a fun show so I’m being openly hypocritical in welcoming him back.

That’s interesting. Trepp is a character from the first novel who wasn’t in series 1 at all, but Colonel Carrera (Isaac in the novel, but Ivan here) is the owner of the mercenary company Kovacs is working for at the start of the second novel, which is set on a different planet and like 40 years after the first.

I love the characters but I wouldn’t be disappointed if the show went away. The last season veered off in a direction I did not like. I don’t know if I would watch next season anyways.

This is actually pretty funny.

Looking forward to his big return tonight.

The potential series is said to be a period piece that would follow Mr. Wing, the Chinese grandfather played in the films by Keye Luke, as a young man as he goes on adventures with the friendly Mogwai Gizmo. The series will be produced by Warner Bros. Television and Amblin Television. Both Warner Bros. and Amblin produced the films on which the show will be based.

Full text of Alan’s letter:

And: