millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Makes sense. There are getting to be way too many streaming services and the market won’t be able to handle them all. Disney will be a big winner. Netflix is set up to be their primary competitor, but they’ll need to make sure they grab on to things to differentiate themselves from the Disney Service(s). Amazon will probably be able to hang around if they want because they’re amazon. Everyone else, though, are going to struggle really hard to gain or maintain market share.

Man, I hope that Watchmen show is good. I’m kind of excited for it.

From that article:

Now, if the industry isn’t careful, it could lose a sizeable chunk of this newfound audience back to piracy by making it overly expensive and cumbersome to access the content subscribers are looking for.

To be fair, it’s not all that cumberson and expensive. I can buy pretty much anything that Netflix or amazon prime won’t give me on Blue Ray or streaming, after all.

I don’t see it that way. You can get dozens of different cable packages, you can add Starz or HBO or Cinemax or loads of other smaller channels, and many people do. This headline doesn’t work in the Western countries, I think it’s much more about torrenting where streaming services are unavailable or hard to get (Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe). The headline itself comes from a blog which just suggested it as a possibility. Beyond Game of Thrones there are no must see streaming shows, so this isn’t about Amazon or Netflix and Disney doesn’t even exist yet. Normal people won’t torrent, and torrenters are lazy enough to just pick the easiest option. Like iTunes eventually killed downloading music, convenience will continue to kill torrenting.

Streaming will end up looking much like cable - right now I can view Netflix and Amazon through my Xfinity box. Disney will no doubt link in too, and I have all cable streaming to add to the pile. It’s convenient and the extra price for these streaming providers is tiny comparatively speaking.

Netflix should be fine as they have a wide variety of programs that cover a wide array of demographics.

Disney will be great for homes with children as that will be their main target. Disney will need to lean on Hulu for adult-targeted shows.

I think Amazon Video is banking on the upcoming Lord of the Rings series to be their major draw.

Ya, there are already services that link different streaming options into one place. I think those guys will probably be the real winners in all of this. No content and not much expense of their own but simplifying the system much like cable was at its onset.

I saw something that Comcast is looking into their own streaming channel.

Amazon is free to Prime members. It’s not going anywhere, it’s basically a sweetheart deal to make you buy shit from Amazon. A Prime member spends on average over $1300 on Amazon, a non member spends around $700. Prime isn’t about views, it’s a marketing trick.

Hulu is the most unstable one now. My guess is it become Disney+ and they kick NBC out, or they dump it and leave Hulu with just NBC - which will basically leave Comcast behind and forced to deal with Amazon or Netflix.

Amazon is also great for the other studios to have a competitive bid against Netflix.

Comcast is NBC, so like I said, either they’re left with Hulu or they dump Hulu and try their own service. Ultimately who gives a shit about NBC?

I’m just curious as to how that will all play with cord cutters, though. Smart TVs at least make it somewhat easy to manage all the streaming apps, but having to switch from platform to platform also might end up annoying people. Comcast has been smart to work on integrating more of them into their platform, but Comcast sucks and I want to get away from them very soon. If someone else can come along and create a streaming platform similar to what Xfinity has with Netflix and Amazon but that doesn’t cost $100 a month for a worthless cable subscription then it starts seeming more worth it to me. But as is I mostly get annoyed managing 3 or 4 different streaming apps and trying to remember what show is on what app. First world problems, for sure. But that’s the kind of thing that will drive the streaming industry.

While I don’t have it, it’s my understanding that Hulu still follows the regular TV model and releases a new episode every week of original series. That seems like such a 20tg century mindset. I think unlike Netflix, they don’t have the library to keep people tuned in.

Hulu has released some series all at once, like the second season of Runaways, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they start moving more and more to the full series drop at once model.

Hulu’s continued existence will depend on what Disney wants to do with it. If they want it there for more mature programming then I feel like it’ll survive just fine. If they decide to abandon that then it’ll be pretty much dead.

Netflix is expanding it’s range all the time, as long as it controls it’s subscription costs to a reasonable level it’ll be fine.

Amazon isn’t an entertainment company as such. It’s a retailer using streaming to help persuade people to opt into it’s free delivery service, after which they should order more things than they otherwise would have.

Amazon wants to be where you get everything from. Not just books, or even books and TV/films, they want you to buy you food, your clothes, your household appliances, every last thing you can think of.

The streaming service is a lure, but they know it has to be a good one.

I suspect that as the number of streaming services begins to increase (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, All Access, Disney, and whoever else jumps into the game like Apple) it will push people to take these one or two months at a time, which is going to decimate the revenue streams of these services.

Subscribe to CBS All Access for a month and binge on all of the last year’s Star Trek series, then take Disney for a month and watch their new Marvel and Star Wars series, take Netflix for a month and binge on Stranger Things and whatever else… and repeat.

No, the fees are too small to bother with that kind of thing. If you have the free time to watch lots of TV you’re not working every job you can get so I’d guess most streamers are people with plenty of disposable cash. Streaming is like a gym fee - even if you don’t use it you’ll just pay it because less than $10 a month isn’t really worth the hassle and you might one day decide to watch something. The revenues will remain steady.

There’s no reason why you won’t access different streaming services in a single box and ultimately a single interface.

Speaking of piracy, do any of the streamers like Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and CBS All Access monitor the swarms and issue those takedown notices from ISPs?

The people I know only seem to get them from HBO for Game of Thrones and Westworld.

My cousin showed me one he got for Game of Thrones about a year ago. :rofl:

I don’t think Netflix give a shit. It’s like advertising for them. For the others it’s probably not financially viable as it’s so ineffective. HBO make a big show of takedowns then leak episodes. They are the most pirated television outlet so I assume it’s about keeping piracy to a minimum by showing they are willing to combat it.

I’ve been saying for a while the service provider splintering is gonna result in a new piracy rise. Same will happen with PC gaming if new services like the Epic Games Store are succesful in poaching more exclusives going forward.

This Time With Alan Partridge - the new BBC sitcom starring Steve Coogan as his famous character - starts this February. A screening is being arranged for members of the press to preview the show, and this is the funny invite the character sent out via email to the reviewers:

I’m Alan Partridge and I am delighted, or at least content, to invite you to a special preview screening of my (and BBC One’s) upcoming magazine show 'This Time with Alan Partridge ’ (my emphasis).

The show marks my return to BBC Television after two decades in various doldrums (depression, radio, Sky Atlantic) and you’ve been carefully selected because you’re either a journalist with a pleasant disposition or a friend or representative of an institution with whom I currently hold no specific grudge.

Limited refreshments will be provided. I think it works out at about two drinks a head, although around a third of you won’t drink so some of you can have four. Food-wise, expect light snacks; those of you with a large appetite or poor impulse control should probably eat before you get there.

Toilet facilities are also on hand, catering for the full spectrum of gender and disability - but again, if you have more bespoke needs, try to go before you arrive.

Dress code: Just show a bit of respect really.

Have some manners and RSVP.

Alan Partridge's signature. Copyright: Baby Cow Productions.
Sorry, the screening is only for the press, but the good news is everyone will be able to see the six new episodes on BBC One this February.