millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Written by Damon Lindelof based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ iconic limited comic series., Watchmen is considered a dark satirical and dystopian take on the superhero genre. Set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own.

Emmy winner Smart will play an FBI Agent investigating a murder. The character’s identity has not been revealed but there is wide speculation that it is Agent Blake.

Now we’re talkin’!

Is this going to be the last series?

I don’t see how they’ll get consumers to pay for both. At some point they’ll merge them together. I suspect their streaming is going to look like cable, you buy channels or certain types of show or you can buy everything for a premium. Streaming feels like it’ll look just like cable eventually.

Great, great casting.

Holy shit!

Morrison had The Invisibles in development with BBC Scotland many years ago now, back in the mid-nineties, but it never came to anything (aside from some scripts which are floating around somewhere). I hope this attempt is more successful.

The first two scripts were on his website and IIRC adapted and expanded a chunk of the first couple of issues - definitely had Dane getting arrested and going to Harmony House, added a couple of anatgonist characters who were members of the conspiracy and worked in finance IIRC. I really enjoyed them back in 2001 or so when I read them

Watching the new series of Beck. Scandi-not-quite-so-noir. SFSG.

I suspect that it’s going to be a Herculean task to get The Invisibles right. Morrison is such a singular voice that it’s going to be difficult to nail the scripts — though SyFy’s adaption of Happy! gives me some hope, where they actually expanded the story and it still felt right and properly Morrisony.

It will be interesting to see if they presentbthe series as a more budget-friendly action series, or go full surealism with the Outer Church business. I’d prefer the latter, but I’m not sure anyone will want to budget for all of the special effects on something so experimental. I think Southland Tales showed that a medium can be struck.

I reckon Preacher is a good template. Adapt it for TV, but still let it be weird and tell it’s own story.

It’s got to the point where it’s becoming easier to identify things that haven’t been adapted. How many greats remain without some TV adaption?

Oh they can still adapt a ton of stuff… V for Vendetta could make for a two 10 eps season easily… LOEG could do a TON of episodes as well (both can be done with a moderate budget too).

Transmetropolitan could be done if they adapt it for a more current time, even though the sci-fi elements would be easy-ish to recreate… There was a pilot at some point for Global Frequency, didn’t get picked up, but they could certainly re-try now… it would be easy to take that premise and serialize it. Same for No Hero (a premise that would work well for an R-rated TV show).

From Wildstorm they could do Sleeper fairly easy as well… and we might be getting to the point where we could have a Planetary TV show as well… Both are contained enough to wrok on their own.

They could also retry a non-CW Hellblazer, and Sandman seems like a good property for TV as well. Y the Last Man could also be done easily.

Not to mention a TON of Brubaker books, like Criminal, Fatale, Velvet, etc… all ripe for TV adaptations.

Then there’s a whole sea of European CBs that could be used if anyone cared to do some digging… Imagine a Metabarons HBO-style TV show… I think they tried XIII at some point but it got nowhere…

Point being: There’s still plenty of good stuff… The only limit is budget I suppose… But most of what I mentioned doesn’t even require huge budgets.

(discounting stuff like From Hell and V for Vendetta that has already been adapted for film)

Planetary
Authority
Grendel
Mage
Sandman
American Flagg
Grimjack
Dreadstar
Transmetropolitan
Zenith
Shade the Changing Man
The works of Moebius (The Incal, Airtight Garage, Aedena, Arzach)
Love and Rockets (Palomar and Hoppers)
Hate (maybe in five or six years for the inevitable wave of grunge nostalgia)

Authority TV show? Nah, ain’t gonna happen… and tbh, it shouldn’t, 'cause it would either look like shit, or be super different from the CBs…

Ellis’ Authority seems ready made for feature films.

Though I do think an interesting tv series could be crafted from Ellis’ Stormwatch run, incorporating both the Ellis and Millar runs on The Authority.