millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

I watched the 1st episode of the new Murphy Brown. I was curious and I really like Jake McDorman who used to be on the Limitless tv show. I thought he worked well with Candice Bergan.
There were a lot of jokes . Most were at the expense of 45 but they also took shots at protest marches and news TV. I am not sure it will last but I am glad to see Jake McDorman back on TV and hope it lasts for his sake.
The point at the end where they say her show which was name calling and trolling did way better than his show which was talking to normal people and asking what they thought was a very good point about tabloid type news being more successful than journalistic type news

I’ve been in the fence about checking the new series out. I loved the original as a teenager, but can see it ageing badly and not fitting the modern era well.

October Faction

Building on the IDW comic book series, October Faction follows globetrotting monster hunters Fred and Deloris Allen who, after the death of Fred’s father, return to their hometown in upstate New York with their teenage children Geoff and Viv. As the family adjusts, Fred and Deloris must hide their identities as members of a secret organization, and our heroes quickly discover that their new small-town setting isn’t as idyllic as it seems.

Sounds like an alright concept. Haven’t read the books, which are apparently a Steve Niles thing. Anybody who has?

The I-Land is a new sci-fi action adventure series. When ten people wake up on a treacherous island with no memory of who they are or how they got there, they set off on a trek to try to get back home. They soon discover this world is not as it seems. Faced with the island’s extreme psychological and physical challenges, they must rise to their better selves — or die as their worst ones.

Sounds like somewhere between Lost and The Hollow. This one will have to show me something good before I’d consider getting into it.

Showrun by Neil LaBute, probably completing his journey from playwright and indie film-maker to bad TV guy (bit unfair, as I haven’t seen his van Helsing series - maybe it’s great).

Warrior Nun
Inspired by the Manga novels, Warrior Nun revolves around a 19 year-old woman who wakes up in a morgue with a new lease on life and a divine artifact embedded in her back. She discovers she is now part of an ancient order that has been tasked with fighting demons on Earth, and powerful forces representing both heaven and hell want to find and control her.
Writer / Showrunner / Executive Producer: Simon Barry ( Ghost Wars, Continuum )

Also unlikely.

It’s petty, but I don’t like the title, ‘I-Land’. So it’s all about them, individuals, discovering who they are?

"Who am I in this land?"

It’s too on the nose, for me.

That doesn’t mean the show will suck though.

Oh I assumed it meant the island was digital. Like iMac or iPhone.

That would literally be the plot of The Hollow, then.

I don’t mind familiar stories if they’re done well.

So I hope this is done well.

But I still don’t like the title.

it does fit the modern era well. They are very up to date. Murphy has a twitter beef with 45. that being said, they don’t shy away making jokes about the character’s ages.

Yeah… the original Murphy Brown was very much an 80s half hour sitcom set in a newsroom. I suspect it probably hasn’t aged particularly well. I think sitcoms centered around families (Roseanne, All in the Family) or groups of friends (Seinfeld, Cheers) age better than workplace sitcoms like Murphy Brown or Veronica’s Closet, because they deal with universal human interaction, whereas workplace sitcoms deal with things like office politics. The former doesn’t change much over time, the latter does.

As far as the Murphy Brown revival goes, it felt kind of anachronistic, even though they’re using twitter and talking about Trump, in a world with Modern Family and the like.

Netflix Is Planning a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure ‘Black Mirror’
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-01/netflix-is-said-to-plan-choose-your-own-adventure-black-mirror

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now that’s a pretty cool idea.

So is it a baking show with skits?
Or a parody with baking show affectations?

I think a baking show with skits but I’m honestly not sure.

She’s internet famous for making really amazing cakes, and it seems famous enough to get her own TV show. Making it weird and putting in puppets is a genius idea. That looks like fun TV.

It puts me in mind of Nadia G’s Bitchin’ Kitchen.

Arlington, VA, October 1, 2018 – Today, PBS KIDS announced the new animated series XAVIER RIDDLE AND THE SECRET MUSEUM, based on the children’s book series Ordinary People Change the World by New York Times best-selling author Brad Meltzer and illustrator Christopher Eliopoulos. This new multiplatform series, produced by 9 Story Media Group’s award-winning animation studio Brown Bag Films, will debut nationwide in fall 2019 on PBS stations, the PBS KIDS 24/7 channel and PBS KIDS digital platforms. XAVIER RIDDLE AND THE SECRET MUSEUM will introduce kids ages 4-7 to inspiring historical figures – from Rosa Parks to Leonardo da Vinci – who will help them learn important social-emotional concepts.