millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

I’m not sure. I think establishing a certain identity is important for a channel in terms of making you interested enough to look at what they might be showing in the first place, and in knowing whether it’s going to be for you or not. Personally I know that there are loads of channels in my package that I never even bother looking at.

Dave is a good example of a channel building a strong identity, I think (and no I’m not biased because of the name) - the rebrand and build-up of original content alongside all the panel-show repeats and old BBC shows have successfully established it as the place to go for a certain sort of programme.

It can work both ways, though - earlier versions of BBC Three branding were quite effective in keeping me away from most of the show’s output, which I wrote off as mostly quite shit teen-oriented stuff. Since it’s moved to online-only I’ve been exploring a lot more of its stuff through iPlayer.

I do wonder whether the days of individual BBC channels are numbered, though - when watching stuff through iPlayer the distinctions between shows from BBC One, BBC2, BBC III or BBC Four are negligible, and I wonder whether the individual channel identities often do more harm than good in terms of separating out the content.

:frowning:

Wasn’t it them which used the red triangle logo? Pioneers in adult TV but probably at least 10 years too early.

If they ever come up with an adult channel, they could simply call it Skin. Geddit? :wink:

Channel 4 did do the red triangle. I remember sneaking a view one night, about 12 or 13 years old, when my parents were otherwise engaged. Only managed one scene set in a STD clinic where a guy whopped out his John Thomas covered in some warts. That’s not really what I was looking for. :smile:

Want to try a test?

• GAME OF THRONES on whatever channel
  • some random shit but IT’S ON BBC1 !!!

0 voters

Right, but when Game of Thrones first launched and barely anyone knew what it is, it was the brand identity of Sky Atlantic, of being a home to high quality drama, that convinced people to give it a go.

Whoa. That looks pretty good. I still find it hard to imagine a Boys TV show… but then, I wouldn’t have expected Preacher.

In that specific case, from memory I thought the channel and the show launched around the same time, so it was a bit more of a symbiotic thing.

In general though I think Sky Atlantic is a good example, in that the very fact a show is on that channel implies a certain prestige.

Which makes them showing Blue Bloods feel weird.

Ok, maybe you’re all right and I’m the odd one here. Half the stuff I watch comes up on multiple channels anyway. I can watch Murder in Paradise on the BBC or six months later on Alibi, and I never noticed it had magically dropped in quality because Alibi spends less on branding, but maybe I’m just weird like that :confused:

That’s kind of looking at it like the programmes themselves are the point of the branding. It’s really an excersize in making people feel catered to. 60-40 years ago BBC got hounded for showing too many repeats and the stink made a joke of them constantly. They realized it was important to always look new and fresh every few years - not only did that make repeats seem somehow fresher, but the athestetics of change added to the viewers’ overall experience.

Rebranding is important in every business. It’s like the refurbishment of a pub. While you will keep getting your regulars if you don’t refurbish every few years new customers will be going to places that look fresher. Rebranding every few years is just good business sense and practice.

I’m not a sure a pub is a good analogy to support the point. How many times have you heard “regulars” complain that a refurb has ruined the atmosphere of the place?

Maybe try a comics analogy instead: if you don’t keep rebooting the line then… oh, no, hold on… :confused:

You forgot the “Other” option. Millarworlders don’t fit into neat categories unless they’re labeled “other”. :wink:

To cut a long story short what David really wants is this:

True. Changing the decor doesn’t matter much if there’s only a few people regularly going there, I guess.

What if all the logos were painted by Roger Dean?

Back to the docks and industrial districts, I guess. This happens periodically.

And of course: