millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a half-hour scripted comedy from Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, a project marking their first collaboration since “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. McElhenney also will star in the series from the recently announced Lionsgate,/3 Arts Entertainment venture and Ubisoft.

The cutting-edge is set in a video game development studio and will explore the intricacies of the human condition through hilarious and innovative ways.

Ubisoft producing a show set at a video game development studio feels off, like The Internship, the movie set at Google that Google helped with.

Looking forward to that. The first season was great.

The AV Club gave it an F, their review boils down to “it’s not just the fat thing that makes it bad, it’s everything”

The project, which hails from Emmy and Peabody Award winner Timothy Greenberg ( The Daily Show With Jon Stewart ), centers on a man (Rudd) who “undergoes a novel treatment to become a better person, and finds he’s been replaced by a new and improved version.” This, according to the official logline, reveals that “his own worst enemy is himself.”

I’m gonna be honest, that kind of makes me want to watch it now. I had no interest before, but now I’m just curious about how bad it actually is.

Good news for Virgin customers.

Rude of you. :wink:

I like Richard Coyle. I’d got the impression, back when he did ‘Strange’ for the BBC (ex-priest fighting demons, nothing to do with Dr.Strange) that it was just a job to him, but since then he’s said he likes fantasy and scifi, so it’s good to see him get a role like this.

The show could go either way, but I’m interested.

“Kidding” looks really good. I hadn’t realised (or forgotten) that Gondry is involved with this.

Might be an actual comeback for Carey. A show about a children TV presenter going mad seems absolutely tailor-made for him.

Just came across this news due to the Red Dwarf connection.

I don’t watch the show but I’m sure DJJ will be great - although I’m a bit confused by his inclusion as he’s a trained dancer. Aren’t the celebs meant to be amateurs?

That rule went out the window when Carlton Banks joined Dancing With The Stars.

It’s always been dodgy in that regard. Alicia Dixon wasn’t a ballroom dancer but did years of dance training with her group. Sports stars are already athletic while news presenters or politicians aren’t.

Yeah, I can understand sports stars doing well for the athleticism/co-ordination aspects. I just thought the point was to pair non-trained dancers with trained ones.

Although the Metro has quite a scoop:

Danny starred as the Cat in the sci-fi cult series Red Dwarf; he has no dance experience but revealed that he had appeared in a Wham! music video in the 1980s.

Apparently starring in Cats and Starlight Express in the West End doesn’t count as “dance experience”. :smile:

Should we mention the elaborate dance routines in Red Dwarf?

Like I said, that has been broken many times by pop stars that are used to coreography and dance training even if it isn’t ‘strictly ballroom’. Is DJJ’s west end musical experience an advantage? Yes.

It’s never been a level playing field. Even with actors, you cannot go through theatre school without dance training.

I’ll watch Strictly for the first time if he reprises Tongue Tied.

Especially if Chris Barrie and Craig Charles are all awkward in the background.