millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Christel watches Impractical Jokers.

I normally hate practical joke and/or hidden camera shows because some innocent person is usually the victim. With IJ, they are the “victims”. They have to publicly embarrass themselves. It’s a great twist that works.

Whedon is the writer, director, executive producer and showrunner of The Nevers, an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

I’m intrigued. Mostly to see if Whedon’s style will have evolved any, especially considering how influential his voice was to the rise of genre TV that now dominates TV.

Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) and Chris O’Dowd (Get Shorty) will star in the SundanceTV short-form comedy series State of the Union, written by Nick Hornby (Brooklyn, Wild) and directed by Stephen Frears (The Queen), Deadline reports. Each 10-minute episode follows Pike and O’Dowd’s characters as they meet in a pub immediately before their weekly marital therapy session.

That’s a slightly odd design. The hair on her scalp doesn’t seem connected to the rest and the poiny shoulder things are weird.

horrible design, but seeing all these new cartoon designs, not really surprised…

I think that’s speculating a little too far into his motivations. Their aims are very different.

Michael Moore is a political activist that uses comedy to make his serious points. Cohen is a comedian that touches on political issues to satirise and does not seem so far to approach particularly with an agenda (all Moore’s films have a specific agenda). In the old tradition of satire he’ll aim for whatever targets are there regardless of ideology.

He’s a comedian that uses satire and scams to expose some of the hypocrisy in politics. I think if the hope is for a truly balanced narrative then it’s never going to happen. I like that tradition of satire but it may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

YES!!!

Finally another Whedon show. And at HBO, at a time when they’re looking to develop the next Game of Thrones.

Rubs hands gleefully.

I think satire of this nature carries a bit more responsibility. Writing it off as just comedy is a bit juvenile.

Satire has always been primarily for comedic purposes but raises questions along the way. Back to the days of "Beyond the Fringe’ that was the primary aim, to get laughs, as they took satire to a big stage in the West End and Broadway. There was no deep political agenda as the likes of Michael Moore (and Mark Thomas in the UK who does a similar thing) have.

I understand not liking it but I thought the angle of just for fame and money was unfair. Loads of artists we follow, including our patron on this site or Frank Miller or Aaron Sorkin, create entertainment primarily that also poses political questions or pokes fun at authority figures. You can apply that to so many people who aren’t either actively campaigning or giving all profits to charity.

I’m not ‘writing it off’ as comedy, it is comedy. The more you display political balance the more it can only be about comedy as you’re just popping everyone’s bubble and not taking a stance.

I appreciate that as with a lot of ‘squirm humour’ based on discomfort people don’t like it though. Anyway I’ll watch it tomorrow, it could end up being rubbish. :smile:

As I said in the watching thread, I tried to give it a go but ended up fast forwarding through the whole show. Cohen’s new characters got tedious very quickly. The makeup and prosthetics on one was so bad, it had an Uncanny Valley feel to it.

Yeah, I don’t think you can compartmentalise comedy and entertainment and politically-credible satire like that, they are all part of the same thing.

I thought Brasseye struck a good balance between being comedy entertainment and making some deeper points. It was fairly scattershot in terms of its targets and didn’t have one particular political agenda, but was probably one of the most effective of these kinds of ‘guerilla satire’ shows in terms of exposing the shallowness and absurdity of its subjects and completely undermining them.

Sometimes a less obviously pointed approach can work better than something specifically targeted. And can often be funnier.

The Day Today is still frighteningly relevant.

Oh, The Day Today is great, but I was thinking more of the kind of stuff that tricks real personalities into getting involved (and there was only a very little bit of that in TDT).

I think The Colbert Report was the best satire in recent history.

I used to think that but it seems now like one of the things that damaged political discourse instead of helping it.

It’s kind of scary how that particular clip has not gone out of fashion.

I’m actually more a little confused as to why American satire is so one sided. In those late night shows, the comedy and now serious it’s very to the left.

If they do take on a Democrat target it’s for being against the general leftist viewpoint like Hillary cuddling up to Goldman Sachs.

It may just be a different tradition but to me satire aims at popping all bubbles. That is its purpose, what Moore and Mark Thomas do is also worthy and I like but it isn’t satire, it’s political campaigning with jokes and stunts. In some places I think the jokes undermine the message, Moore made many great points in Fahrenheit 9-11 about the hypocrisy of protecting the Saudis and also politicians sending troops to war but not willing to extend to their own kids. He then wrecks it all with nonsense speculating George W can’t read which is dumb.

Chris Morris is slightly different as his target is the media, not the politicians, although they get caught up in it as they play the same game.