millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

SHIT!!!

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

Understandable, I guess. But man, I really do hope this gets picked up quickly. It’s such an amazing series.

Netflix would be a natural fit, as I think they do a lot of business with The Expanse, it seems to me.

There will be a five word sentence before the end of series three that will drive you all insane if you don’t get the resolution

Oh I assume that sentence is coming in about two episodes.

Next week is my guess, episode 7 is apaprently just going to be Melba’s first few chapters.

This show better get renewed, or I will mutiny.

That makes sense since I’m a week behind. :smile:

Dang, The Expanse is cancelled? Amazon should pick it up, give them some original content that’s worthwhile. I hope it finds a new home somewhere.

I’ll cry if the Expanse gets cancelled

“Cancelled” is a loose word here, as it’s been independently financed and SyFy just got the rights to first airing. I think that means that the chances of the production firm partnering with another channel aren’t bad.

I don’t know about other countries, but in the UK and in Germany, Expanse has always aired on Netflix, which makes it more likely they’d be interested than Amazon.

It is here too, marked as a Netflix Original. I’m pretty sure they have it worldwide outside North America.

Here in the US it airs on SyFy and then eventually to Amazon. I watched the first two season through Amazon Prime, so I guess I don’t know where it makes sense for it to land, I just hope it lands somewhere.

It’s not even streamed on Netflix in the US. It’s on Amazon Prime and on the pay per view to begin with. The second season just moved to the free with subscription part not long ago. Moving to Netflix in the US would be a positive for me.

I think it’s also on regular TV in New Zealand

Well, this might be good news:

I loved this show. I even had the Marvel comics at one point.

This sounds interesting:

I’d like to think someone is smart enough to pick it up, that or Netflix goes: Yeah? Well, screw you too SyFy, more cash for us, fuckity-bye.

In the quote that follows, every asterisk is a “fuck you” statement:

“The Expanse transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television*,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series*, and this was an incredibly difficult decision*. We want to sincerely thank The Expanse’s amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life*. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.*”

Just destroy SyFy already. Has there ever been a TV channel supposedly about TV SF that has destroyed so much of it?

To be fair it looks to me like Syfy doesn’t have that much money. A lot of their material looks very cheap and the stuff that doesn’t, like BSG or The Expanse, they seem to struggle to maintain.

Meanwhile the streaming guys are chucking millions around for fun. If it’s doing well for Amazon in the US or Netflix almost everywhere else then there’s hope they can keep it going.

Wow shitty day for tv shows… Lucifer just got cancelled at Fox as well… I thought that show was doing well… =/

No.

They need to change their name again, to something more honest.

Like: Sigh. Fie!

Odd, he seems to be doing just fine on Supernatural