millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

He doesn’t look significantly older than Smith though, which makes it an odd choice.

Really? I feel like Smith is still quite baby-faced, although I haven’t seen him made up in the show.

Perhaps they’ll age him slightly with makeup if they need to.

Menzies is 44, around the age Philip was at the point where the story is, so I guess he’ll probably play him up to his late fifties/early sixties with some makeup. Smith is 35, and played him from his mid-20s to early 40s.

Eh, they could have gone further with Smith.

2ugzznq

To be totally honest I assume the real reason they’re recasting is to stop the actors asking for too much money?

They’re all going to have a short run, then step aside for the new (older) blood?

I think the plan is to go up to the modern day, they so they were going to have to recast eventually.

Sure, but I think audiences are fine with make up and some VFX to age actors, up or down.

It’s a good reason to give their agents though.

I assumed they’re trying to imply Prince Philip is a Timelord.

When we all know he’s actually an alien lizard.

Last night’s premiere was excellent. This is going to be a hell of a final season.

‘True Detective’ Season 3 Director Exits After 2 Episodes

–SNIP–

Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier, set to split directing duties for the entire run with show creator Nic Pizzolatto, has left after completing the first two episodes. Prolific TV helmer Daniel Sackheim, known for FX’s The Americans, is filling the void. Though the show’s episode count is still unknown, Sackheim is expected to divide up all the episodes with Pizzolatto, who is stepping into the director’s chair for the first time this season.

An HBO spokesperson issued the following statement on the switch: "Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto."

–SNIP–

“Scheduling Issues”: def: I don’t wanna be here any more!

Hugo Award Finalists are up:

The TV (and song) category:

Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form

• Black Mirror: “USS Callister,” written by William Bridges and Charlie Brooker, directed by Toby Haynes (House of Tomorrow)
  • “The Deep” [song], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes)
  • Doctor Who: “Twice Upon a Time,” written by Steven Moffat, directed by Rachel Talalay (BBC Cymru Wales)
  • The Good Place: “Michael’s Gambit,” written and directed by Michael Schur (Fremulon / 3 Arts Entertainment / Universal Television)
  • The Good Place: “The Trolley Problem,” written by Josh Siegal and Dylan Morgan, directed by Dean Holland (Fremulon / 3 Arts Entertainment / Universal Television)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: “Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad,” written by Aron Eli Coleite & Jesse Alexander, directed by David M. Barrett (CBS Television Studios)

That’s the time loop episode of Discovery.

All good choices (though I don’t know the song), but I’d probably give it to Michael’s Gambit or USS Callister.

Very pleased to see Black Bolt nominated for the Comics category too.

Glancing through those noms, I’m guessing they’ve euthanized the puppies…

There’s a few reasons that’s happened:

The group who tried to run the Sad Puppies campaign last year were less than good at riling up reactionaries, partially because they were trying to convince people that they weren’t just a reactionary hate mob. So the reactionaries just flocked more to Theodore Beale. And the Sad Puppies didn’t even get off the ground.

The people who forked out for Worldcon memberships in 2015 basically so no return on their griefing. That membership allowed them to nominate in 2015 and 2016, but only vote in 2015. So they lost numbers rapidly. Beale’s Rabid Puppies were better organised than the Sad Puppies, but had lost enough followers that they were just a blip. I’m sure this was all part of Beale’s plan to prove John Scalzi is not a successful writer.

Worldcon members moved to plug the gaps in Hugo nominations that allowed for the griefing campaign in the first place. Two proposed rules changes were passed in 2015 and ratified in 2016 - One called E. Pluribus Hugo changed the nomination system to a weighted voting method, and one called 5 and 6 meant that each person nominated 5 items per category, but the 6 most popular items would be on the shortlist.

I have no idea what any of that meant.

Short explanation: A bunch of dickheads have spent the last five years trying to ruin the most prestigious awards in SF because they were angry about women and minorities winning. And the fandom has stopped them at every turn without breaking their self-imposed rules to do so.