millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

I saw the tailer earlier, and laughed so much at Dinesh and Gilfoyle giving out to Richard for not stopping them from being fuckups.

Amazon Studios today announced it has acquired the global television rights to the Culture’s first novel Consider Phlebas. The famed space opera by Scottish writer Iain M. Banks features Banks’ fictional interstellar utopian society, the Culture. The series will be adapted by Dennis Kelly (Utopia, Matilda) with Plan B Entertainment (World War Z, 12 Years a Slave, The Big Short, Moonlight, Feud) slated to produce and the Estate of Iain Banks attached as Executive Producer.

Could be great, if done right.

In a stunning twist, after this show ends the sets will be used in a new Battlestar Galactica movie.

Are they just being cagey about not showing Doctor Smith and the Robot, or are they not in the reboot?

Also, no Major West, apparently :confused:

Edit: on second viewing, it sounds like that must be the Robot’s voice right at the end. So they’re just being cagey about showing him. [cynical mode]Which means he will probably look rubbish :wink: [/cynical mode]

Anyone else like the movie?

Stranded along with the Robinsons are two outsiders who find themselves thrown together by circumstance and a mutual knack for deception. The unsettlingly charismatic Dr. Smith (Posey) is a master manipulator with an inscrutable end game. And the roguish, but inadvertently charming Don West (Ignacio Serricchio) is a highly-skilled, blue-collar contractor, who had no intention of joining the colony, let alone crash landing on a lost planet.”

Dr Smith I presume?

I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced. I’ve never seen the original series, but I do have a soft spot for the 90’s film. Yeah the CGI is horrendous in places, and Jared Harris has been weirdly over dubbed. But it’s still a fun movie.

Huh. Ok.

Does everyone except me know all about this? Paul’s post is honestly the first time I’ve heard any mention of it.

There’s about 5,000 posts about it in the No Davids folder.

Thank you!
It’s a fun little sci-fi adventure. The sci-fi bit is a whole lot of nonsense, but even LeBlanc’s performance I think has been underrated.

Dammit :angry:

Juliet Higgins
:open_mouth::scream::exploding_head:

not everyone is Lucy Liu

Seriously, I vaguely remember hearing about it but promptly forgot though Parker Posey as Dr Smith stands out to me.

There are so many threads in that folder that I glazed over that one.

I spend the most time in the Deep Purple Appreciation Thread, as do most of us. How many 10,000-post threads have we gone through in the last few years? Seven, eight, nine?

I’ve met so many (now senior) London VFX people who worked on it.

London had a thriving commercials and pop video industry, but little in the way of feature film experience, The VFX were spread out amongst dozens of relatively small companies and, somehow, they got it done.

And in 1998 a lot of CGI was horrendous. :rofl:

The spiders were a great concept and design in any case.

And Le Blanc’s collapsible helmet is one of the best sci-fi helmets ever.

Like it did in the 70’s? :wink:

It was the 60s :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been rewatcing a lot of original Lost in Space recently. It was a weird programme. At the start (in the original black & white season), there are some genuinely tense SF dramas, with storylines that wouldn’t be out of place on The Outer Limits. Then as it goes on, the Smith/Robot double act takes over and it degenerates into a pretty groanworthy comedy. By the later (colour) seasons, it’s like watching a bad panto that makes Batman '66 look like Shakespeare in comparison. You start feeling sorry for the actors, particularly the women, who get nothing to do except make dinner and occasionally get taken hostage.

Through all of it, the Robot is the best charatcer. He gets the funniest lines, and delivers them all with a dignity that the other actors only wish they were allowed.

So for me, it’s the Robot character who will make or break any new treatment :wink:

Oh, so even worse. :wink:

Pretty sure that the black woman was Major West.