millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Shannara was MTV actually. Which is why it didn’t have a particularly large budget. It did well enough to get renewed though. The Witcher series is going to be based off the books rather than the games. One of the fears is that since the books author hates the games he’ll use the show as an opportunity to undermine the games, contradicting the stories told in them.

No body lives forever is a stupidly good tagline

It really is. Too bad that wasn’t a great trailer. I mean I’m in no matter what so it doesn’t make a difference but I’m still waiting for a really good trailer for the show.

He’s the one who’s like a cross between Tolkien and Ayn Rand, isn’t he?

I’ve always been curious to about what that would look like, but never enough to bother picking up one of his books.

Pretty much. Yer standard ingredients for a Goodkind book is bloody violence, lot of gore, rape, torture, mayhem, rape, bloody violence, S&M, rape, bloody violence… You get the idea.

Don’t go giving people ideas like that! :wink:

I never read the books, but I enjoyed the Sword of Truth TV series they made a few years ago. It was a bit derivative and predictable and not at all challenging, but it was good entertainment.

I agree. The added space changes the meaning just enough to fit the show. I’m really looking forward to this.

My only reticence is that if we ever do get a Neuromancer film or TV show it’s going to look like a copycat just because of all the TV and films made off of books that led from the book.

I doubt that Netflix would let that happen.

The rights to the book may be what they were able to get, but I think it’s fair to assume that what their attention is the name recognition of the games, not the books’ status as a cult fantasy series in Poland and Eastern Europe. (Although admittedly the later may actually be a factor, since Netflix are more international than any comparable TV station is).

Of course, Gibson felt like that when he saw Blade Runner near the end of writing the book. I think there’s enough left in Neuromancer that a decent adaptation would be able to use to stand apart - there’s been very few figures in Cyberpunk TV and cinema like Case, Molly and Armitage, and if you can get what makes them tick into the story, it’ll work well. You’ve also got some interesting imagery to play with - like Case flipping between being in the Matrix and accessing Molly’s sensorium via the simstim rig, the weirdness of Wintermute and Neuromancer’s thought processes, the Straylight Run and the raid on Sense/Net both offer opportunities for odd and unique visuals… If we get a good creative team, of course. (For cringe, there’s an unused script floating around the internet which makes some interesting changes)

There are a few unused scripts for ‘Neuromancer’ out there.

I think any film adaption would do well to avoid the neon and rain that has become the key image of a cyberpunk world. The book starts in Night City and it might be hard to find an alternative there, but the Sprawl is a concrete jungle and Straylight is Monte Carlo in space.

There’s room to explore in all of that, but it would take nerve to do it. Nerve and a lot of money.

I bailed halfway through season 6 as it was so terrible. Did I miss anything?

Quinn finally died, for real this time.

Noelle Stevenson (of Nimona and Lumberjanes) is doing a new She-Ra series:

The trailblazing girl power icon originally debuted in 1985 to satisfy overwhelming demand for a female lead fantasy series. With Stevenson’s unique voice at the helm, fans are in store for an epic and timely tale that celebrates female friendship and empowerment, lead by a warrior princess tailor-made for today.

Plus, the books are mostly horrible. So hopefully Netflix is observant enough to see that CDProjekt, the company that made the games, ultimately adapted the ideas in those books into something much better than the actual author was ever able to do.

Season 3 has been really great.

Cool. I have to get round to season 2!