millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Lindelof is talented, and I’m curious to see what his take on Watchmen will be like, but I also can’t help but worry that it sounds like he wants to take superheroes back to the dark and gritty world they’ve been trying to claw their way out of for the last few years. Watchmen‘s take on dark and dangerous heroes felt unique and trend-setting at the time, but since then, we’ve had a wealth of superhero films and shows that give us dark, angry, violent characters. Only recently have heroes begun to seem hopeful again, and hope is something we could all use a lot more of these days. To backslide into the grim/dark territory doesn’t sound too promising.

Who is this idiot? The book is dark and gritty. If you want ‘hopeful’ then adapt something else.

I read that as being his point exactly. That the ‘grim and gritty’ aspect of Watchmen doesn’t feel as novel or different now as it did when the comic came out, and he’d rather not see Lindelof go back to that well; that another adaptation of Watchmen isn’t what we need right now.

The phrase “Lindelof is talented” is a big alarm bell.

So’s titling a post “New Watchmen TV Show Details Revealed” when, surprise, there is actually no detail about the show revealed, but all you have is one very broad sentence by Lindeloff that it should be “dangerous”.

Watch the Leftovers, it’s amazing.

I dunno, I’ve been burned before.

It’s brilliant. But be warned, the first thing they tell you is they are never going to explain the mystery.
I guess he learned from Lost.
If nothing else Christopher Eccleston is brilliant in it.
And they use a Fuck Buttons track in the first episode. :grinning:

The Leftovers made it into one of my favorite shows of all time. I had a friend who couldn’t finish it because there “was no payoff”. He seemed to miss the point that a show called “the leftovers” was in fact about the leftovers and not the people who left or why they disappeared. It’s a broken world after an unexplainable catastrophe, the nature of the catastrophe doesn’t matter, it not the point.

The Leftovers was amazing. But yeah, if you’re looking for a show about why people vanished, don’t bother. If you’re looking for a character study about loss, despair, and [crisis of] faith with fantastic acting and production value then it’s a great show.

I think it helps if you go in knowing they don’t really have any interest in explaining the mystery of how the people disappeared and that isn’t the point of the show. There’s some really interesting takes on the cults springing up, the government registers etc.

I remember reading Chris S’ view on the show and he seemed frustrated that it wasn’t getting to answers like Lost. I knew that wasn’t the intention so wasn’t looking for those things.

I’m OK with shows having minimal or no explanation for plot elements so long as the creators aren’t claiming they will. A big part of my problem with Lindelof is that he seems to add obfuscation and mystery for its own sake. And this is the point where I bring up the draft of Prometheus’ script prior to his being hired again.

Which won’t work for WATCHMEN. The mystery of the mask killer does have a very clear and specific solution by the end. Actually, after all these years, it’s easy to forget that that is what the story is about. All the action is driven by Rorschach investigating the Comedian’s murder. In the movie, around the time Nite Owl and Silk Spectre talk about Rorschach’s theory before they break him out of prison, I’m like “oh, yeah. That’s what the story’s about. I forgot.”

Aye, which is why I’m wary that they haven’t called this a limited series yet.
What more could there be to say? It’s a concise story and I am not hopeful in Lindelof in “branching out” the world.

‘House of Cards’ to Resume Production on Final Season Without Kevin Spacey

The show must go on, and so “House of Cards” will resume production on its sixth and final season sometime after December 8. That’s according to Deadline, which obtained a letter sent to the Netflix drama’s cast and crew by Pauline Micelli expressing gratitude and underscoring the fact that “this production is bigger than just one person.”

Kevin Spacey, the show’s star, was fired after numerous allegations of sexual misconduct were leveled against him; exactly how he’ll be written off the show remains to be seen.

Here’s Micelli’s full letter:

Dear Cast and Crew,

As we move into the holidays, we want to express our appreciation for all of the meaningful messages of support we have received from you and want to update all of our loyal cast and crew on our progress and where things currently stand.

We continue to work with Netflix with the hope of resuming production soon. As we continue these discussions, we have determined together that the crew will be paid for an additional two week hiatus – beginning on November 27th and continuing through December 8th.

In addition to the writers, there will be a small contingency of office/accounting staff who will remain in the production office on a continuous basis. Our hope is that the entire crew will be able to reconvene when production resumes, but we want you to know that we will certainly understand if crew members need to find other work in the interim, which will prevent them from re-joining us. We sincerely appreciate all you have done.

Cast and other union members who are not actively working will be paid in accordance with applicable union guidelines through this period and we will be reaching out directly to your representatives to work through the details; we will get to everyone as quickly as possible and appreciate all of your patience here.

These last two months have tested and tried all of us in ways none of us could have foreseen. The one thing we have learned throughout this process is that this production is bigger than just one person and we could not be more proud to be associated with one of the most loyal and talented production cast and crews in this business.

We will provide an additional update by 12/8/17.

Thank you all.

Pauline Micelli

His character will be abducted by aliens, is my bet.

He’ll be killed off by…Dun dun duh…Kaiser Soze.

I think the problem with Lost is that it presented itself as a mystery to be solved when the reators either had no interest in doing that or weren’t clever enough to do it. Leftovers never set itself up to do that. It was more about weird and unexplained things happening and how people react to them.

While I never watched The Leftovers, I do remember interviews with Lindelof prior to the premiere where he said that the cause of the disappearance would never be explained. As has been stated, the series is about how people deal with the strange event and it’s aftermath.

I kind of hope these aren’t from the show. It feels a bit too generic scifi noir for my taste. If you had told me these were from Bladerunner 2047 or Total Recall 2070, I would have believed you.