millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

I’m gonna miss that cast.

hum this is a really bad idea… I know it’ll be soon 20 years since the 1st movie came out but come on… The movies are still today pretty spectacular, what could they improve except adding some more walking filler scenes?

Maybe they’ll make Frodo the same age as he is in the book (he’s middle aged)? Or do the Tom Bombadil stuff that some people were moaning about missing when the first film appeared?

Or perhaps they’ll set it all in the far future and add aliens and robot dolphins? I really don’t have a clue.

But if someone is willing to pay the money to make the show it’ll be because they do have an idea and they think it’ll work.

And it might, or it might not, it might not even happen now or for another 20 years, but no matter how much people love a version of something that’s all it is; a version.

So if they make the show then good luck to them and to us, because if they do it well then we’ll have another good show to watch.

The problems for any Tolkien TV series as I’d see them:

• Casting: They’re up against it big time, who’s going to think they can out-do McEllan as Gandalf or Blanchett as Galadriel.

• Is Tolkien too twee now for viewers used to GoT? Unless they go super-decompressed and have an ep of hobbits boozing and shagging.

• The level of resources needed to go up against the movies is pretty damn high, even allowing for the precedent of GoT.

Now if they can crack that trio, they’ll be doing well.

g_dawn_jennifer_02

He didn’t look thaaat young either… I mean, thge problem is fickin Elijah has a baby face, even now. As for the Tom Bombadil… pff yeh I guess, but tbh, that part of the books is severely disjointed and has no real impact on the rest of the story, so it’s no wonder they keep cutting it out of adaptations… it just doesn’t fit.

Well, regardless of any of that, what they did in the movies, in terms of size scaling and all that, would probably be too costly on a TV budget, and that’s without even going into all the rest of sets, and FX they’d need to make it even worth remaking it.

If they’re just gonna do an “Inhumans” like version, what’s the point really? =/

I would be more interested in seeing a movie or mini series on Tolkien himself and the other Inklings, especially C. S. Lewis.

It could explore the reasons behind creating LOTR and TLTWATW.

Yes, a sentimental, nostalgic yearning for a once pastoral, albeit apocryphal, idyll, like latter-day Miltons. Luddites or Arts and Craftites but with an underlying far more important, to them, reason as well.

While a railing against the Miltonesque ‘Satanic Mill’ ugliness of post industrial revolution Britain is certainly a palpable feature of their work, Tolkien and Lewis were, by their own admission, primarily motivated by their perceived need for the English people to have their own origin mythos. Like the ‘real’ Celtic mythologies possessed by the Irish, Scots and Welsh with whom they have shared the British Isles since the 6th century.

That need/motivation has long preceded the industrial revolution with attempts by medieval English writers to gradually convert the eponymous hero of the last major Celtic cycle, King Arthur from being a figure who fought against the English invasion into King of the English himself.

Given the similarity of their goals, the difference in approach from Tolkien and Lewis becomes all the more facinating.

Tolkien seems to envisage a marraige of Germanic (Scandanavian, e.g. dwarves, trolls) and Celtic (e.g. the De Danaan-like Elves, Celtic free will ethos) with a need for associated languages of a non Germanic origin whereas Lewis envisages a mainly Celtic-like slightly surrealistic/supernatural overlay (with some classical mythological overlap) imbued with a strong Christian ethic.

It is a story worth telling and handled correctly could make a good movie or mini series I reckon.

CGI addictions could easily be catered for by interjected scenes depicting the protagonists’ thinking processes.

Hobbits seem to age weirdly.

In the books, Biblo was about fifty in The Hobbit, and Frodo started Fellowship of the Ring at thirty-three (the age when Hobbits become adults) and ended that book at fity-one or so because it took Gandalf seventeen years to figure out that the ring was The Ring. Since the movies seemingly cut the gap in Fellowship down to weeks or months, Wood would seem to be appropriate for a thirty-three year old Hobbit, as Freeman seemed appropriate for a fifty year-old Hobbit.

Exactly… it didn’t shock me at all… Frodo, though 33-50 yo, was supposed to be a “young” hobbit (if 33 is supposed to be an equivalent for 16, then 50 would put him around 25), much like Aragorn still looked 40 despite being close to a 100 or something… actually IIRC, they all lived much longer except for regular men with no special blood in them.

This is all fan tap-dancing to explain something that doesn’t really need explaining beyond the actual facts.

The filmmakers just decided that a younger protagonist worked better for a screen version of ‘LotR’ and they wanted Martin Freeman to play his confused middle aged guy persona for ‘The Hobbit’.

And they both did great work.

I like Alan Cummings and he seems to work well in this role but this just feels like a Castle retread. (Which is particularly funny since Patterson had several cameos on that show.)

I really liked the first season of Trollhunters and am looking forward to the second season. That said, I can’t say I’m particularly interested in expanding its world or adding two more interconnected shows to it.

Actually seems more like a Sherlock Holmes-like thing, doesn’t it? With the weird personality ticks of the detective, and his, uh, psychological insight specialty that I haven’t quite understood yet.

I watched this show with my kid and liked it a lot. It’ll be nice to see it return.

My wife and I really liked it and I was worried it wouldn’t be back when Anton Yelchin died. Apparently he had already recorded all his dialogue for season 2 though and Del Toro says that the new season ends in a way that allows for a voice change.