millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

/DISC/ is on the run.

Man, I’ve tried to give Orville a couple chances now and I just can’t past the fact that it thinks it’s smart sci-fi that is actually really dumb.

I don’t know, I thought last weeks episode was a very good social media and fake news allegory. It was like a light, Star Treky version of Black Mirror.

I find Orville to still be finding its footing, but I’m along for the ride. They did just get a renewal for a second season, which bodes well. (Take that, paywall sci-fi!) Sure, Orville has funny it it, but I find DC’s Legends to be hilarious. Some bizarre crazy Christmas crossover special could potentially be a classic.

The true democracy episode one? God, no. That was particularly bad in terms of thinking through any of its ideas.

I think the only flaw in that episode is that the character in peril was really, really, guilty of acting like a jackass.

But other than that…it was aight.

Hopefully, whoever it is, they get well soon;

To ever get a proper Zone again, it would require Rod Serling.

If any of you can find it local or on YT, there’s an episode of The Dick Cavett Show where Serling talks about past Twilight Zone and into the morass that became Night Gallery. Well worth a listen.

(I’ll see if I can find it. brb)
Here’s one about putting on Twilight Zone to whet appetite.

Don’t think it’s available, or web fu weak today. Here’s a quote from a summary:

Rod Serling then joins the group and comments on his creative conflict with NBC over the series “Night Gallery,” which he dismisses as “a run through a graveyard”; the writer’s lack of creative control in television; his big screen adaptation of the Irving Wallace novel “The Man” (a clip of which, featuring Martin Balsam, Burgess Meredith, and James Earl Jones, is presented); the absurd extent of political “equal time” practices on television; and television protocols that preclude naming or alluding to political parties in entertainment programming. Includes commercials, promos, and public service announcements.

It shows on decade.tv from time to time. Bonus, Rod’s in the #3 spot, #1 is a fellow named Arthur C. Clarke.

Or get Forrest Whitaker back.

Wow. That looks amazing.

So Peele is now the go-to guy for weird tales?

I can see that, after ‘Get Out’, and it’s not as if I wouldn’t enjoy a new ‘Twilight Zone’ if it’s done right, but he’s got this and ‘Lovecraft Country’ and whatever else he’s developing that hasn’t hit the press yet.

I hope he doesn’t get over stretched.

There’s also the Klansman hunter show. I think that’s actually the furthest along in development.

For me, I’d grade the series a “C”. It’s far from the worst thing on TV but could be so much better. The serious bits are good but the humor really needs to be worked on. Most of the jokes just land with a thud. I hope next season MacFarlane brings in some more writers and not just ones from Family Guy.

I wish the show had gone with a heavier emphasis on humor, though. Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman, while being half hour sitcoms, do have great balance of comedy and drama.

One small touch I do like is that on the bridge, Mercer will address the crew by their first name. It’s a bit more informal and relaxed.

Latest episode had a good balance. Most of the humor came from the character dynamics than out and out punchlines.

Latest news on a possible ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV series.

‘Lord of the Rings’: Amazon, Warner Bros. in Talks for Series Adaptation

Warner Bros. Television and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien are in talks with Amazon Studios to develop a series based on the late author’s “The Lord of the Rings” novels. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is said by sources with knowledge of the situation to be personally involved in the negotiations, which are still in very early stages. No deal has been set.

The studio and the Tolkien estate have been shopping a series based on the classic fantasy novels and their assortment of hobbits, wizards, and warriors, sparking a competitive situation from which Amazon has emerged as the frontrunner. Representatives for Amazon and Warner Bros. declined to comment.

–SNIP–

But the pursuit of “The Lord of the Rings” is in line with a new programming mandate dictated this year by Bezos, who, months before Price departed, ordered him to shift Amazon Studios away from niche, naturalistic series such as “Transparent” and “Mozart in the Jungle” and toward large-scale genre programming with potential for broad international appeal. As part of that shift, Amazon canceled two series, “Z: The Beginning of Everything” and “The Last Tycoon,” and began shifting resources away from Lewis’ development team and to a unit led by event-series exec Sharon Tal Yguado. With Lewis’ departure, Tal Yguado was named head of scripted series, reporting to Price’s interim replacement, Amazon Studios COO Albert Cheng.

The fact that a “Lord of the Rings” series is being shopped by Warner Bros. marks a thaw in the relationship between the studio and the Tolkien estate, which in July settled a massive lawsuit that had dragged on since 2012. The dispute, with Tolkien’s heirs and publisher HarperCollins on one side and Warner Bros. — which produced director Peter Jackon’s live-action feature film adaptations of “The Lord of the Rings” and its prequel, “The Hobbit” — on the other, stemmed from the use characters from the movies in online slot machines and other games.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but a legal filing stated that no fees or costs were to be awarded by the court and that no party was entitled to recover fees or costs.

LOtR might work IF it stands out as different from GoT…

As I said before, the next big TV hit won’t be a medieval fantasy drama but something entirely different.

According to this, Amazon will have to pay $200-250M just to get the rights, with no writers, etc involved. The entire thing seems like a money-making scheme cooked up by someone who works for the Tolkien Estate.

I hear Amazon, Netflix and HBO had been approached about the project, which comes with an upfront rights payment said to be in the $200 – $250 million range. That is just for the rights, before any costs for development, talent and production. It is a payment that has to be made sight unseen as there is no concept, and there are no creative auspices attached to the possible series. (I hear the pitch at HBO involved producer Jane Tranter whose company is partially owned by HBO and Sky but the general package has no talent attached.) On top of that, the budget for a fantasy series of that magnitude is likely to be $100-$150 million a season.

I hear that Amazon and Netflix are still in the running while HBO, home of blockbuster fantasy series Game Of Thrones, passed awhile back because of the the finances of the deal that many industry observers call “insane.” Additionally, industry sources note that there are already three great Lord Of the Rings movies and a total of six movies in the world made, along with the Hobbit films. Plus, I hear that the rights for a TV series in the Lord of the Rights do not encompass all characters and are limited.