millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

I’m sure that when Moore and Gibbons were asked about potential follow-ups shortly after Watchmen came out, they said a Minutemen book was the natural choice.

Which is certainly fair enough. Me, I very rarely worry about adaptations spoiling the original in any way - it’s just an added interpretation, and variation, and does not take away from my enjoyment, past or future, of the original work.

I’m just worried about stretching out too far to the point where it gets boring.

I mean, 4 or so seasons? I think one season is enough to tell the story.

That depends on what you mean by “the story”. If you’re talking about the central plot, sure. If you’re talking about a fleshed-out history of the superheroes of Watchmen’s world… you can easily fill more seasons.

Everything else depends entirely on the writers.

I think if you need more than one season, and I mean like a 13-20 episode season of say an hour each, to flesh out the world and the characters of this story - then you’re wasting some of the time in some way.

They could just use the Before Watchmen thing from the comics…:wink:

That’s like saying “if you need more than one season to tell us what the hatch and the island are all about, you’re wasting time in some way” :slight_smile:

The things in the spaces between can be the things that are important.

And luckily, this time, Lindeloff would have an actual revelation and proper ending to work towards…

Yeah, I was thinking about how those comics are a great example of how this kind of thing can go horribly wrong :wink:

Hey, I did a rewatch of LOST in the “Watching Thread” and said explicitly to everyone there that the story was about the characters and that by Season 4 they had lost me as a viewer because I didn’t care about the lore or the myth-arc.

So, please, at least make an analogy that fits with what I actually say :wink:

Watchmen is different because the characters and the story are more intertwined, it’s a mystery, and it has an end all wrapped up. The comic is very concise and efficient. If the show can’t do that as well - then it’s wasting time. Again, a twenty episode season is far more than enough to tell as succinctly crafted a story as Watchmen.

Oh I don’t worry about that either. I am just not feeling that tingly feeling of excitement for this. That doesn’t mean it will ruin the original for me.

This is where I disagree. Watchmen is just as much about the characters and not about the plot.

It’s just that the plot does make sense, in the end, so it already has one leg up on Lost.

I didn’t say the characters were secondary to the plot, more so that there is this intertwining thematic coiling of the two.

Yeah the characters are interesting as long as their story is related to the larger themes. I am not going to sit for an episode on Mothman’s secret origin or something.

I agree Wachmen is about more than just the plot though.

Yeah, and I think that there is enough plot for several seasons if you focus on the characters. Say, ten episodes seasons and the first season could end with the attack on Adrian, the second with Rorschach in prison, the third with Hollis’ death and the fourth with the actual ending. I’d be fine with that.

Either way, it’ll be interesting to see how they go about it. Personally, I’d rather see take their time than try and make up a new story beyond the original, but who the hell knows where this will go… let’s just hope they try to capture the spirit of the book as much as possible.

That’s a fuckin travesty man

From Gaiman:

Once we had finished writing Good Omens, back in the dawn of prehistory, Terry Pratchett and I started plotting a sequel. There would have been a lot of angels in the sequel. When Good Omens was first published and was snapped up for the first time by Hollywood, Terry and I took joy in introducing our angels into the plot of a movie that was never made. So when, almost 30 years later, I started writing Good Omens for TV, one thing I knew was that our angels would have to be in there.

Oooh.

I hope he’s Gabriel.

He is.

Awesome!
2019 is far too long. The real end of the world might be here by then haha.