millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Snyder already did that.

Part of me thinks he is treating fans of The Big Bang Theory with little in the way of appreciation for the fact many will feel a sense of kinship with Young Sheldon as much as with the adult nerds of BBT.

He pretty much says they are too stupid to enjoy anything other than BBT. I don’t think he has a very firm grasp on the people he’s talking about.

The estimates on the cost of content that emerged from these interviews peg the typical range of the production budget for high-end cable and streaming dramas at $5 million-$7 million an hour, while single-camera half hours on broadcast and cable run from $1.5 million to more than $3 million. With the exception of HBO, which made its mark with lavish productions, that’s a significant increase, during just the past five years, over what had been $3 million-$4 million for cable dramas and around $1 million-$1.5 million for single-camera half hours.

It’s not just the cost of scripted TV that’s blowing up. Apple is paying $2 million an episode for the CBS-produced “Carpool Karaoke” series, even for episodes that run far less than 30 minutes.

Cable networks are stretching their wallets too. HBO’s VFX-heavy “Westworld” is in the same lofty budgetary stratum as “The Crown.” Season one of Starz’s “American Gods” came in at more than $8 million per episode. TNT’s one-and-done period drama “Will” required $5 million-$6 million an episode, even though it was shot in Wales with mostly up-and-coming actors.

It’s time to bring back Kings. It’d seem absolutely thrifty now.

The World’s Highest-Paid TV Actresses 2017: Sofia Vergara Leads With $41.5 Million

Yay, I love the League of Gentlemen.

Jeremy Dyson’s changed a lot since the movie.

Sheen as Dyson in LOG Apocalypse

Who on earth thought $2 mill an episode for Carpool Karaoke was a reasonable price?

Whoever was making money from it I would hope?

Most of the episodes are barely 15 minutes long! Some are shorter than that!

One of the Sense8 actors shared a picture of the script for the special on Instagram, and it’s co-written by David Mitchell (the novelist, not the comedian, I assume) and Aleksandar Hemon, another novelist. https://www.instagram.com/p/BZg6WKbgCQQ/

No mention of JMS.

James Corden and his accountant. :smile:

It is a bit nuts, the idea was a good one, it actually originates from a sketch he did for Comic Relief rather than his talk show, and has gone viral on social media.

It’s one of many signs that value is separated from potential. Apple see huge interest but does that convert into subscribers? Probably not, it’s a fun segment for free on Youtube. There’s a bubble in TV now with people trying to stake their places, it will contract.

Mitchell and Hermon both wrote for series 2 (they were credited as consultants), and they cameoed in the show - they’re the writers who give a talk in San Francisco that Amanita goes to.

To put this into context, in the 90s 2 million would get you four episodes of Babylon 5. Today for that much you could get two episodes made and have a couple hundred thousand left over.

So you’re saying we might be able to make a profit from a show we will plan to be cancelled?
max-bialystock

cc @njerry